General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Anyone Know This Exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:54 PM

I wouldn't cheap out on internals or drivetrain parts, but intercoolers and exhausts I would. They wont last 100 years, but who keeps their car for more than a few years anyway.

My ebay 3in is very loud, which i don't mind and we don't have db-**** cops so w/e. With the silencer, it's about the same as the stock exhaust with a rotted muffler.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

The gauge finally dropped under 3/4 this evening. I dont believe it myself, but it is doing what it is doing. Nothing wrong with the car.

Im not saying ebay everything, just certain items. An exhaust is an exhaust. Yes you can spend the big money for an apexi or HKS I would too. But this is a daily and what I happened upon on ebay was the PIT catback system (which is also the same exhaust sold on a website that was recommended to me here that sold it for 360) Why not spend less for a deal if you see one? Clutch yes, be careful of what you find on ebay, other items as well. But if you know for sure it is what it is and the item is being sold at a steal, go for it.

When it comes time to refill the 14, I'll see how much the mileage is then.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

i dont knock ebay exhaust's because i have one myself but dont say a pipe is a pipe either, those expensive exhaust are expensive for a reason well 2 reasons #1 quality and #2 R&D. They Test and refine the prototype for maximum airflow and sound tuning.

have you ever seen an exhaust where it has an extra pipe that goes nowhere? well thats usually for sound tuning go look at a OEM S2k exhaust.

anyway just saying an exhaust isnt just a simple pipe they put together to sell for $700
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DJ_Sunrise
The same reason why I payed $1000 for a exedy hyper single over $300 for ebay clutch and flywheel. Build your car with ebay specials and see what happens in a not-so-long time.

-Bart
Sorry dude but you're wrong. An ebay exhaust is a piece of pipe. An Apexi N1 is a piece of pipe. All exhausts are just pipe. There is a huge difference between an ebay exhaust and an ebay clutch. As long as it's made of stainless steel they're all the same.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by battosaii930
i dont knock ebay exhaust's because i have one myself but dont say a pipe is a pipe either, those expensive exhaust are expensive for a reason well 2 reasons #1 quality and #2 R&D. They Test and refine the prototype for maximum airflow and sound tuning.

have you ever seen an exhaust where it has an extra pipe that goes nowhere? well thats usually for sound tuning go look at a OEM S2k exhaust.

anyway just saying an exhaust isnt just a simple pipe they put together to sell for $700
so true but lets not forget about advertising. that has a bit to do with the final price tag as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

haha this little arguement reminds me of tokya drift... :"this beast has 500 horse and a borla exhaust." i say piping is piping
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, maybe they're not all EXACTLY the same, but is that extra 1/2 a horse worth 500 extra bones to you? Or the slightly better sound? When it comes down to it the engine is really what matters most when it comes to sound, although I suppose a resonator couldn't hurt.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 PM

1/2 horsepower? Nooo.. makes much more difference than that. The surface air travels on has a huge impact.. Some jdm companies polish the inside of the tubing to a degree.. Less restriction.. Just like polishing a head. When carbon builds on a smooth surface, it builds smooth.. When it builds on a rough surface, it builds rough. I'll spend the extra $200 for more horsepower.

At the very least, if you buy Ebay exhausts.. Do yourself a favor and buy better gaskets. The included ones are usually garbage.

-Bart