General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Buncha Convertible questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:07 AM

Buncha Convertible questions

Ok. Im planning on getting a 240 convertible and I have some questions.
First as far as swaping an sr, Ive heard that there are a few things that are special about getting your top to work automatically with the swap. Anyone on here have the swap on a convertible???
Also I def. do not want the pop up headlights, Ive thought about a silvia front end, which does look nice, but Ive seen it done. What I was wanting to do was the kouki front but I dunno if it just bolts right up or if there are some special mods that have to be done to get the headlights to fit.
Also where is a good place to get an entire front clip, I was considering going rhd while I was doing everything else. Ive been planning and researching this for quite a while, but not actaully having the car yet, its hard to know everything about it. Any help or advice???
Old 02-17-2005, 01:06 PM

my best advice is to NOT get the convertible. straight up, it is the worst in the 240 line up. some like convertibles, most people who work on their cars dont. A clip is easy to come by, parts for a RHD swap aren't as easy. that all requires searching. as for changing the front end to an S14a front end (kouki), you would definitely need custom brackets. its more common to go with the S15 front end on an S13, and for that reason i havent seen many 13 to 14 front end conversion parts, but with work i would assume its just as possible as a 13 to 15 swap.

if you still want to go with a 240 convertible SR and RHD swap, good luck to you, but thats all the advice i can offer.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:52 PM

Thanks and I know that the convertible is the worst to begin with, but for what im planning its gonna work out good, well hopefully.Basically im tearing down the entire car down to nothing and starting all over. Im not gonna be driving it once I start the entire build up, its gonna be a project car. Im just looking to do something different and the most performance for my buck isnt a concern from the start. I have already read up on the chassie and know that there are gonna have to be some reinforcements in the front and the rear which isnt a problem cuz my buddy is getting to be one hell of a welder. Thanks for the answer on the front end swap though, I found a pic of a s13 convertible with the s15 front and it looks a lot better than I thought it would. I dont think the s15 looks right on either s13 coupe of hatch, but since there isnt a roof line it works.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:40 PM

if you want one of the cleanest S15 front ends on a hatchback S13, go to signal auto's website.

http://www.signalauto.co.jp/4_28DRIFTSPEC.html

as for your plans, i wish you all the luck in the world. you have undertaken a challenge for sure, and i would love to see the end results.