Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

Suspension Upgrade for Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 12:50 AM

Suspension Upgrade for Convertible

Has anyone done any suspension work on an S-13 Convertible chassis? I know this car is a bit heavier than coupe/HB models and alot of the mags and websites just say N/A for convertible or don't specifically say they work on converts. Trying to contact eibach is useless, believe me. I'm not looking to race but I want a street car with a smooth ride and rock solid cornering. I will contact Tein, Ground Control etc. and see what they say, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have some first-hand wisdom for me?
94 240SX convertible.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

I have seen a lot of JDM cars with lowered stances and I always except convertibles, but they must be something out there, because they are a lot of cars in Japan That are dropped.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

thats true man .... when i went to get my springs and told them the car ... they jumped at me and said do u drive a convertable... i said no... then they explained they dont carry convertable 240 springs etc... and the company that did... was a cheap no named company .... i like your idea of calling around... thats the best route to go ....btw why is it hard to get suspension parts for them ?
Old 10-04-2002, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

I would contact Tein. Order a set of the HAs. Tell them to give you a stiffer spring rate to compensate for the weight difference.

The only source of added weight I could think of would be your convertable top assembly. I do not think there are any extra chassis braces on the convertable.

I know the regular set of Tein HAs are rated 6k front and 5k rear. Raise the rates and you should be fine.

I know that is what I did when I ordered the coils for my civic and mentioned that I would be doing a GSR swap. The engine is a bit heavier than the D series I have now. Harder springs were the solution.

Good luck.

P.S. Money talks and bull**** walks. Show the companies the loot and they will get you something that works.
Old 10-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

hey, u got any pics of your convertable? i think that's tight that someone is actually modding one despite all the criticism. i saw a modded eclipse spyder and it was sweet cuz no one mods convertables.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:44 PM

The pics I have are not very good . Need to take some new ones. Thanks for the feedback on the springs though.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

I thought the suspension on all S13's are exactly the same. So you just buy suspension for an S13 not a trim.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
I thought the suspension on all S13's are exactly the same. So you just buy suspension for an S13 not a trim.
Most suspension upgrades say xcept convertible for the S13 things. I also think the upgrade has more braces due to having no roof. Most convertibles if not all need some type of chassis reinforcement or else they will fold in half without it.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
Most suspension upgrades say xcept convertible for the S13 things. I also think the upgrade has more braces due to having no roof. Most convertibles if not all need some type of chassis reinforcement or else they will fold in half without it.
I would like to see the extra braces they have. Might be a worthwile upgrade to stiffen the chassis of a non convertable.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:53 AM

convert suspension

Sorry for the delay, I'm not real good at keepin' up on this stuff. I posted a pic in the "Newbie" thread. Yea, I thought all S- 13's were the same too, but I think the Convert's are just a bit heavier. There's a lot of extra inner body bracing to compensate for not having a real roof. Anyway I think the Teins with a stiffer spring are probably the way to go. I've contacted a local supplier and I'll see what they have to say. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
I would like to see the extra braces they have. Might be a worthwile upgrade to stiffen the chassis of a non convertable.
Well you wouldn't need that in a coupe because of the rear brace that goes between the trunk and interior. Thus the reason the coupe is stiffer than the fastback.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
Well you wouldn't need that in a coupe because of the rear brace that goes between the trunk and interior. Thus the reason the coupe is stiffer than the fastback.
Speak for yourself. I want to add stiffeners!