General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

clunk after vlsd/subframe spacer install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 04:34 AM

clunk after vlsd/subframe spacer install

I got a jdm s13 vlsd installed over the summer, and just recently installed powertrixx subframe spacers. The problem i'm having is, when letting off the clutch after taking off, there is a clunking noise in the rear end that wasnt there with my open diff. sometimes the noise is there when i'm going slow and hit the gas a little bit in first gear too. when I installed the subframe spacers, the noise got more pronounced. I crawled under the car and grabbed the axle/output shaft from the vlsd and could move it sideways about a half inch or so, but when it would stop at the wheel, it made a noise similar to the clunking noise i'm hearing. Is the axle supposed to do this? it was as if the axle was hitting something solid and producing the noise.

More clarification: when i'm stopped, if i engage the clutch just right, it clunks, and if i engage and disengage quickly, just enough to drop the revs but not stall or buck, it double clunks.

ANY help is appreciated, thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

might be inside the diff... I doubt it has anything to do with the subframe spacers if it makes the noise while stopped.

Did you just nolt the VLSD pumpkin on and that's it? Or did you change fluid, or opened it up to see how the insides were?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 PM

sounds like you've got some internal problem with the vlsd, if you didnt open it up prior to installation now might be a good time, at the very least drain the fluid in it and look for signs of wear and break down, metal pieces or shavings
Old 01-18-2006, 02:59 PM

The thing about the vlsd is, I just bought the internals and output shafts so I had to have a shop install it and make sure it sat in the pumpkin right. I re-used my pumpkin and used mobil one synthetic gear oil as recommened. the vlsd works flawlessly, so i'm not sure if it is an internal problem or what.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:52 AM

hey did you find out what was wrong??
I have vlsd and thought it was bad because of that clunk noise in the back ,come to find out it was the subframe bushings,if it does the noise while you are stoped and just engaging a gear its the vlsd what I did to chk the subframe bushings i parked the car had someone push the car back and forth(shaking)while I looked a the sub bushings if they moved alot with the shake bushings are bad because they are supposed to be stiff even if you shake the car .