General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

clutch is going!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 09:14 PM

hum...

I still have to beg to differ...cause A if your not gonna tottaly rebuild your tranny..its not even worth and B...you only need something like that if your running like 15 pounds of boost or something rediculus like that...........
Old 10-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

how is running running 15 psi ridiculous? i think replacing the clutch with a factory clutch would be a waste. clutches rn't just for burnouts buddy.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by spitz7985
how is running running 15 psi ridiculous? i think replacing the clutch with a factory clutch would be a waste. clutches rn't just for burnouts buddy.
Agreed. If you gonna spend the money buy something that's gonna hold the power. the factory clutch can only take so much, while an upgraded clutch will allow you some more durability.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Hope to not add fuel to a fire but aren't most aftermarket clutches favorable to stock because of dealership prices?
Old 10-21-2002, 05:59 PM

jees...

hum first for u spitz.......your calling the keddle black ...first u have all kinds of questions about clutches and suddenly your the Clutch expert..plz indulge me in your clutch expertise....and secondly 15 psi is a lot how long do you plan on keeping ur turbo for????how much maitence do you plan on doing???these are common errors ppl make when putting on a turbo..then dont think ahead....for a street car that has to also double as an every day car thats a lot.....

now import fanantix...Im assuming he is putting this clutch on a stock car....and Im saying why put an aftermarket clutch on a stock car....and even with a turbo running 6psi I personnaly think it makes the car harder to deal with.......

and StanBo...this is the simpiliest of all who in their right mind would go to the dealership to get their clutch replaced...about a year ago it cost me 200 dollars to get my stock clutch replaced(and its hydralic so dont try pullen that oh they tighened the line bull)...and this was at Joe Blows Transmission...they did a good job and it was relitively fast...so.....and that 200 was installation too...that means in Lamens terms...I didnt do jack S h I t!!!...not that I would mind anyway...but thats besides the point....
Old 10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

I think stan was talking about a Factory Nissan clutch price vs. a Upgraded Clutch.

A factory clutch kit is about 180-200 and a upgraded clutch is about 200+. While your in there might as well put something in better.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Re: jees...

Originally posted by 240_Sparx
and StanBo...this is the simpiliest of all who in their right mind would go to the dealership to get their clutch replaced...about a year ago it cost me 200 dollars to get my stock clutch replaced(and its hydralic so dont try pullen that oh they tighened the line bull)...and this was at Joe Blows Transmission...they did a good job and it was relitively fast...so.....and that 200 was installation too...that means in Lamens terms...I didnt do jack S h I t!!!...not that I would mind anyway...but thats besides the point....
I just re-read this whole post to put your reply in perspective before I put my foot in my mouth or blew this out of proportion.

I would not give you a bull**** line. I might have a screename of StanBo but that is my nickname and people know me from face to face conversations and meets. If I don't know what I am talking about I will not fake it and give ****ty advice. I don't bull****. I would post something with a question or a warning if I were not sure.

I agreed with you earlier in the post. I agreed that upgrading certain parts with working accompanying items.

I read that you were squashing the idea of an aftermarket clutch install. I asked if a dealership clutch would cost more or the same as an aftermarket clutch. Maybe the price difference would lead to an aftermarket install. Import caught on to that and posted it.

I see that you had it purchased and installed for $200. That is cool. I didn't find that option. I asked around and found that most people went the route I followed and were happy. So I agreed and tried it out.

Someone mentioned that they were building a modded car and wanted clutch advice. It was given.

Want some stock part prices:

Pressure Plate Assembly 30210-00018 1991-1994 Models (KA24DE) $81.79

Clutch Release Bearing (Throwout) TOBRNG-001 All $27.83

Clutch Disc Assembly 30100-00013 1991-1994 Models (KA24DE) $59.61

Clutch Alignment Tool 5300 All $7.95

So you paid something like $40 for an install. I think that is pretty cool. Here is the list for those that want the stock replacements. The prices are from www.courtesynissan.com.

I hope I am not being rude but I took your assumption that I spew bull**** seriously.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:27 PM

I tottaly understood you Stanbo......I didnt misunderstand...and Im not saying you bul S h I t just stating that many ppl try to come back with that line...I dont personnaly know just trying to avoid conflict with that line one.....also my statement had nothing to do with your Nickname on here I didnt even pay attention to that......and the only reason I had to respond so strongly is because I got attacked by like 3 differant ppl just had to prove my opinion...everybody is intitled to one.....
moral of the story ppl try to use clutches as cop outs if you will.....Instead of buying an aftermarket clutch when they would actually need one....they buy one when theirs goes.....which for some ppl I guess its a good opurtunity....... I think before I ....well(type) in this situation.....and as far as the clutch thing being cheap..... sometimes going online for certain things isnt allways the best way to go....sometimes you just have to have patience and look really hard locally....I called 22 differant places before I found the place that I did...and never settle for the mechanics first price...especially with transmission stuff....local mechanics that own a shop privately usually will negotiate if you level with them.........
Old 10-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Re: ........

I tottaly understood you Stanbo......I didnt misunderstand...and Im not saying you bul S h I t just stating that many ppl try to come back with that line...I dont personnaly know just trying to avoid conflict with that line one.....also my statement had nothing to do with your Nickname on here I didnt even pay attention to that......and the only reason I had to respond so strongly is because I got attacked by like 3 differant ppl just had to prove my opinion...everybody is intitled to one.....
moral of the story ppl try to use clutches as cop outs if you will.....Instead of buying an aftermarket clutch when they would actually need one....they buy one when theirs goes.....which for some ppl I guess its a good opurtunity....... I think before I ....well(type) in this situation.....and as far as the clutch thing being cheap..... sometimes going online for certain things isnt allways the best way to go....sometimes you just have to have patience and look really hard locally....I called 22 differant places before I found the place that I did...and never settle for the mechanics first price...especially with transmission stuff....local mechanics that own a shop privately usually will negotiate if you level with them.........
Good to see we are almost on the same page. This should help some.

I answer and give advice to questions on things I know. My throw out bearing was fried during my NYS inspection. That is what lead to my purchasing a new clutch.

I am cool with the counter-response you posted. I get what you mean now.

I know the statement had nothing to do with my screename. That was stated to say that we are neighbors and I don't hide behind a computer. People know me and I think would vouch for me.

Don't worry about the strong responses. Shoot without them this place would be bland. We are not a www.clubsheep.com.

I can understand the cop out angle. I know many many people who wait for parts to go before exchanging them for something new. Shoot I am one of them. I am having troubles with my clutch on the Civic. It started a year ago. I prepared to correct it but wanted to do other mods while the tranny was assable. It is a year later and the clutch is holding up seeing that I am not beating on it anymore.

I agree with you on the face to face shopping. The internet is great for ammunition when bartering. I personally scored parts for under retail, shipped for free and installed for free.

Truce.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Good to see we can all just get along

But yeah things like clutches and installation are a "big ticket" item and people usually do wait before they upgrade, because in reality you are looking at upwards of about $450+. That is the only reason people wait. My clutch is starting to go and guess what, I ordered another SPEC Stage II clutch and using a lightened flywheel.

Well If I ever get any additional HP I will be ready to accept it with open arms at least with transfer of power issues. Well that is all I have to say, and upgrade when you can, but if have to wait due to $$ then you must do what you have to in order to survive.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Re: jees...

hum first for u spitz.......your calling the keddle black ...first u have all kinds of questions about clutches and suddenly your the Clutch expert..plz indulge me in your clutch expertise....and secondly 15 psi is a lot how long do you plan on keeping ur turbo for????how much maitence do you plan on doing???these are common errors ppl make when putting on a turbo..then dont think ahead....for a street car that has to also double as an every day car thats a lot.....
ok sparx, just because i ask the good people of club240.com which clutches are good means that i know nothing about clutches? i think not. if someone asks what tires are good, do you assume they dont know that tires are made of rubber?
i'm not claiming to be some kind of automotive genius, but i know a thing or two, so shut your mouth about what i know and what i dont.

please, explain to me just how 15 psi is ridiculous. i know what is needed to be done to an engine to allow it to run safely at 15psi. if you build everything right, you wont need to do tons of maitence. and there are turbos that are built to be run at 15+psi. and they last just as long as a turbo made to run at 7psi thats pushing out 7psi.

i'm not going to make any "common errors" that people make. i'm not stupid so dont talk to me like i am. if i'm runnin 15psi and i have a boost controller, i could simply turn down the boost for daily driving. and its not like the act street clutch isnt streetable. its a friggin STREET clutch made for the (yep you guessed it) STREEEET!

you mentioned that people dont think ahead. well what do u think i would be doing if i get a clutch that can hold enough torque for when i turbo the car? i would be thinking ahead! if i do go with an OE clutch now, then i wouldn't be thinking ahead. you are telling me two contridicting things. make up your mind.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: jees...

Originally posted by spitz7985
ok sparx, just because i ask the good people of club240.com which clutches are good means that i know nothing about clutches? i think not. if someone asks what tires are good, do you assume they dont know that tires are made of rubber?
i'm not claiming to be some kind of automotive genius, but i know a thing or two, so shut your mouth about what i know and what i dont.

please, explain to me just how 15 psi is ridiculous. i know what is needed to be done to an engine to allow it to run safely at 15psi. if you build everything right, you wont need to do tons of maitence. and there are turbos that are built to be run at 15+psi. and they last just as long as a turbo made to run at 7psi thats pushing out 7psi.

i'm not going to make any "common errors" that people make. i'm not stupid so dont talk to me like i am. if i'm runnin 15psi and i have a boost controller, i could simply turn down the boost for daily driving. and its not like the act street clutch isnt streetable. its a friggin STREET clutch made for the (yep you guessed it) STREEEET!

you mentioned that people dont think ahead. well what do u think i would be doing if i get a clutch that can hold enough torque for when i turbo the car? i would be thinking ahead! if i do go with an OE clutch now, then i wouldn't be thinking ahead. you are telling me two contridicting things. make up your mind.
Usual mantinence is a MUST when doing any turbo application. There's more force on the engine and regular mantinence is important. Also running 15psi can be dangerous. And you must make sure everythings in good working order (ESPECIALLY on stock int.). Like always in most cases your reliability can be tossed out the window as well.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:14 PM

spitz....

thats a good one spitz...bout the tires thing so good in fact that but that statement I know understand that you presumable Understand that clutches Are made of metal....or are they?hahaha
....Secondly Plz dont Twist what I say...Even though we got into a debate about the turbo thing......It was never a known fact to me anyway that you where planning on going turbo....simply that you wanted an aftermarket clutch......on an stock car....

...and if you read carefully I never stated what you do and dont know lets see...Ouote"plz indulge me in your clutch expertise"-me

sounds too me like you had your fair chance to state what you do and dont know....and I know understand you know that their is rubber on tires.......interesting....

I've nothing more to say to you about this, this is a grid lock argument that could go on forever....
Old 10-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Well for the sake of keeping everything cool, we're going to close this down. Let's make recommendations, not accusations.