General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

couple of problems, help is needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:12 PM

Exclamation couple of problems, help is needed

Alright, first problem is my vents on the door dont move much, like they are broke or something...i cant move the slider more than a cm before it stops.....and the other problem which is really really annoying is my blower moter for the heat/a/c makes noise, like the fan in the blower is touching something. Almost sounds like one of the blades is too long and is hitting the inside, but the noise is kind of soft and annoying, like something vibrating in the glovebox. I am positive it is coming from the blower because I got under the dash and messed with it. Any one have ideas?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Re: couple of problems, help is needed

Originally posted by cmhadley
Alright, first problem is my vents on the door dont move much, like they are broke or something...i cant move the slider more than a cm before it stops.....and the other problem which is really really annoying is my blower moter for the heat/a/c makes noise, like the fan in the blower is touching something. Almost sounds like one of the blades is too long and is hitting the inside, but the noise is kind of soft and annoying, like something vibrating in the glovebox. I am positive it is coming from the blower because I got under the dash and messed with it. Any one have ideas?
Might want to remove the blower assembly and take a peek inside... something might be caught in the fan blade's way.

As for the door vent, pull the door panel off, take a look at the other side, and you'll see which screws hold the vent duct in place. Remove those screws (trust me, when you see it you;ll know what to remove) and the front half of the vent (including the door handle surround) will come off. Then you can see what's jamming that too
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 AM

Sorry to bring this thing back from the dead, but I fixed the vent problem by just trimming the U shaped slider piece...it was hitting the middle fan blade. Now the reason I brought this thread back is because I took my blower motor assembly out the other day and completely disassembled it and to my dismay, found nothing wrong. The fan blade is not bent nor hitting anything. there are 2 plastic pieces on the motor itself, one is a vent type thing and the other is the power plug shroud. I did some testing and found that the noise only happens when the fan is straight up and down, but if it is tilted, it goes away. wtf??
Old 01-18-2006, 07:17 AM

I'm sure there is some way to bench test the motor before putting it back together
Old 01-18-2006, 04:15 PM

you can probably use your car battery to test it before reinstall, if it still makes noise just go junkyard shopping.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like a balance problem... maybe the fan shaft bushing is worn... there's a bunch of S14's parting out right now in the FOR SALE section, maybe you could pick another blower unit up for cheap