General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Does Unibody Matters to You?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:58 AM

Does Unibody Matters to You?

Since my car has a rear 1/4 panel damage, I've been doing a lot of research to get to know how to repair it and get it back to the original shape, because, like most of the members in here, I love this 240sx. Our body/frame is called unibody (the body panels act as part of the structural units) like most of modern cars due to it is light and requires less cost and time to produce; however, if you ever get it into a serious accident, it is almost impossible to repair, because, like some people said, "if you get the body damage, it means your frame is damaged." I'm not very sure what a sub-frame is, but getting the frame damaged is enough for me to worry about.

Very unfortunately, I got mine damaged, and god, i'm still regret about it. The shop said they will cut the damaged/dented panels out by following the factory weld spot; however, "they said" the rear 1/4 panel is one peice panel that goes continously up to the roof. (I checked the 1/4 panel diagram on nissianparts website, and it does not go up the roof) Hereby, inevitably, they have to cut somewhere in bewteen the roof and 1/4 panel, which I'm afraid to death that it will have a defect on the idea of unibody. Even though they promise there is no way you can tell the difference since they will make the replacement panel precision look untouched, I still afraid the unibody will get defected.

Here is my plan to improve the rigidity of the unibody. I've heard the best and ultimate way is to reweld all the seams, which is good for the car in overall. This is even better than you but any struct or sway bars. Of course, this will require a lot of money, time and skill to complete. I assume I can take this chance to swap a complete perfect 1/4 panel in and reweld it. In this way, I get to improve the car's rigidity and repair my car back to the original shape and even better.

P.S. please don't tell me to just get a 95-96 shell and swap the front end of my car. I'm only asking this to see if this is sound logically possible.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

possible, yes..... practical, no

there is no need to reinforce the factory welds on a 240 unless you really race your car at a professional level or your really rich and have nothing else better to do.

and reparing the quarter panel is fine if they follow the factory welds you wont even notice.

you dont need to worry about the integrity of the unibody unless the frame was bent and the quarter panel isnt a part of the frame
Old 05-19-2007, 07:20 AM

You're over worrying your problem man. Just have it fixed, if the handling feels screwed up, then figure out your next move
Old 05-19-2007, 09:14 AM

thanks you guys, maybe yea, i'm overworryed.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dongoesby
thanks you guys, maybe yea, i'm overworryed.
Hey man, it's not a big deal, we'd all be worried if it was our pride and joy
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 PM

well, in that case if you say just let them fix it, does that also mean it is fine if they cut in the middle of the 1/4 panel and reweld a new one back? I thought this is the worse senario, because they cut the panel that act as a structural unit, which the customized welding will mess up the factory welding spot with this extra welding. And it also means later on i can't reweld all the seams as my ultimate plan. To be honest, this is my hope for this car since I really love this car, and I really don't want it end up with this permanet damage which done by me.

I have a weird personality which, if i want to own something forever, I want it to be perfect. Well, of course, 240sx is a car that I want to keep forever.

Last edited by dongoesby; 05-19-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

um only frame of the unibody is important everything else can be fixed np 1/4 is not part of the frame.

they will weld it where the factory welds it so u cant even tell its a new 1/4 panel.

and why wouldnt you be able to re weld the car? that made no sense anyway reinforcing the welds on a DD car is useless

now read what i said and dont make me repeat myself... again lol
Old 05-19-2007, 09:07 PM

hey thanks man, well, please don't feel repeating yourself, because everywhere I looked are all saying unibody means the body also acts as part of the frame, so that is the reason why I'm asking.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 PM

rear 1/4 panel damage generally isn't structurally a problem. Post pics of the damage if you want an opinion. Welding new metal in shouldn't be a problem. Like everyone else said - you are worrying too much.