General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Engine Re-building (Buying Question)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:10 PM

Engine Re-building (Buying Question)

1991 fastback (I think its a SE cause it has a sunroof and leather and a few power options) with 171k miles.

I dont plan on swapping an sr20 or anything too serious like that. And as of now, I dont plan to autox (gotta get the driving skills first, cause I cant even drive stick yet). So Im wondering if I were to get this 91 w/ 171k miles for $1750, how much and what would I need to replace to rebuild the motor to last? Pistons, rods, belts, etc? I dont know if I plan to go turbo or not just yet, so Im looking at making it a fully built NA.

I know all the common sense tune-up type stuff, but internally what would I need to do?

I live about 20 min. south of Atlanta, GA, so there arent as many 240sx's for sale that arent auto around here. All of the low mileage ones are either too expensive, or automatic...sucks. And just for the record, I looked into getting a 240sx just to be different from all the hondas. Not to join the new "drift bandwagon" (not talking about every owner, no offense) I totalled my civic almost a month ago now.

Last edited by Neejay; 01-10-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:21 AM

Re: Engine Re-building (Buying Question)

Originally posted by Neejay
1991 fastback (I think its a SE cause it has a sunroof and leather and a few power options) with 171k miles.

I dont plan on swapping an sr20 or anything too serious like that. And as of now, I dont plan to autox (gotta get the driving skills first, cause I cant even drive stick yet). So Im wondering if I were to get this 91 w/ 171k miles for $1750, how much and what would I need to replace to rebuild the motor to last? Pistons, rods, belts, etc? I dont know if I plan to go turbo or not just yet, so Im looking at making it a fully built NA.

I know all the common sense tune-up type stuff, but internally what would I need to do?

I live about 20 min. south of Atlanta, GA, so there arent as many 240sx's for sale that arent auto around here. All of the low mileage ones are either too expensive, or automatic...sucks. And just for the record, I looked into getting a 240sx just to be different from all the hondas. Not to join the new "drift bandwagon" (not talking about every owner, no offense) I totalled my civic almost a month ago now.
For god's sake, don't total the 240SX!!!

Anyhow, to your question... If I were you I'd find a mechanic that I trust and have him take a look at the engine just to make sure if there was anything that actually did need replacing. Once my Prelude hit 150,000 miles I pulled the engine and brought it next-door and had the guys go through it... In the end nothing internally needed to be replaced... Just had the head and pistons cleaned of all carbon... Cost me $200.00... A lot less than buying parts that I didn't even need....
Old 01-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

search for engine rebuild, I know i've covered this
I'll post it again. Comes with everything to do the rebuild. you'll need a FSM and a few select tools, including torque wrench.

Major Engine Kit: contains complete gasket set, set of pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, balance shaft bearings (if applicable), and a set of expansion plugs (does not contain camshaft, timing kit or oil pump). Pistons & Rings: Std., .020, .040. Bearings: Std., 10, 20, 30.

Thats for a stock KA. SEARCH for building the KA. If you fully build it, you're looking ~200 rwhp, port & polish head, cams, pistons, rods, etc.
www.ka24de.com

That'll help all your questions, it's a start.

Dr.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:15 PM

why dont you buy another ka with less miles for a few hundread dollars, swap them and build your other motor up. if you do the right stuff you can get alot more than 200 rwhp. build the head, cams , cam sprockets, valves , valve springs, heavy port and polish, 5* valve grind , get forged high compression pisstons, rods, get everything blue brinted and ballanced, get a stud kit. well your gonna spend about 3000$ or more plus labor but you will easily be at 250rwhp. and get your pistons coated so if you want to spray later you can.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

he's not looking to invest in a sr, so I doubt he's willing to invest 3K for a NA engine bud.

buying a KA and using that while rebuilding your engine is a good idea, except for the fact you don't know how that engine was used or abused, but if you're just using it while rebuilding yours it shouldn't be a big idea.
I have 2 onlines sites with rebuild kits, email me if you want them.

Dr.