General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

engines.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 PM

engines.

yo im pretty drunk and i just came back from the stripp club but i dont think that matters.. i wanna no what u all think.. i have been researching engines. i have came up with the conclusion that sr20 is amazing to drift with and rb25 is a ****ty engine to drift with but has AMAZING power in it. but i was at a car show here in toronto.. i live in canada. but the guy was sayin rb25 was an amazing drift engine and only costed 2000$ more.. i believe or less. but ne ways.. i wanna know what everyone things and tell me your input.. i dont have a 240sx yet.. but im plannin on buyin one soon paint it white and im not gonna say ne thing else till i buy it and put pics up of it.. and puttin the engines in is nothing cuz i work on cars and i have friends that are mechanics id be doing the work my self
Old 09-24-2005, 12:12 AM

Dude, it goes without saying that you are drunk, just look at you typing. Anyways, the RB25 is a lot heavier than the SR20, so if you swap that in, you will be screwing up the wight balance. I dont think that is a good idea if you are going to be drifting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by KerosineK
Dude, it goes without saying that you are drunk, just look at you typing. Anyways, the RB25 is a lot heavier than the SR20, so if you swap that in, you will be screwing up the wight balance. I dont think that is a good idea if you are going to be drifting. Just my 2 cents.
the rb25 you can drift with look at the 350z that drifts they took the rb in it. its white and blue.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by KerosineK
Dude, it goes without saying that you are drunk, just look at you typing. Anyways,

I dont find a problem with how i typed.. managed to spell everything right. i dont no y i just said drifting in that, i want to be able to drift like a krazy person and also have power commin outta the rear so when im racing sum guy thinkin hes got a fast car..nascar, i would smoke him no problem. and id like to have what ever engine i go with to be put in a 1991 to 1994 with a hatch. i donno if thats what it called or not im new to this. and if weight is a huge thing tryin to drift then ill stick a 800 pound stripper in the trunk
Old 09-24-2005, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joelcase
the rb25 you can drift with look at the 350z that drifts they took the rb in it. its white and blue.
But consider that Top Secret/ORC's Z33 (the 'white and blue" car you refer to) was designed with a VQ engine in under the hood - a 6 cylinder with a 6 cylinder size and 6 cylinder weight.

Take that and compare it to an S13/S14 chassis which - although sharing some mechanical designs with the Skyline - was designed with a 4 cylinder (turbo or not) in mind.

Old 09-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

well since you'd have to do tons of suspension work anyways, why not get the rb25det? more power stock, and hell of a lot or potential with just bolt-ons... you can tweak your suspension setup to handle pretty good with the heavier motor.. but wouldnt' heavier in the front mean the rear is lighter, meaning more traction for the front tires and less for the back.. therefore you could get sideways hella easy? lol..
Old 09-24-2005, 11:29 PM

Thank you for sayin that cuz thats wut i was gonna ask after some other person is like oh blah blah the front end is to heavy for drifting.. and id like to have enuff power in my car that i eat my buddies crx gsr with type r head and gsr internals or sumthin. he drives round thinkin hes king **** and hes adding a nice turbo t3/t4 this winter.. he smokes alot of things out there. with normal average street tires he hit a 14.4 down the quarter mile.. he spun up like krazy tho when he went.. but im sure a rb25det motor would do way better then that added its rear wheel drive. 2 extra cylinders. id be probs adding after market stuff to it before throwin it in before summer next year. like lighted fly wheel if i can get it.. if i have to ill catch a plane to jdm land and pick up wut i can get.. and cams for sure.. lsd rear end. and some other little things. but keep poppin up things bout wut u all think is better like yeah i no the rb25 takes alot of time to put in but who cares bout time money and weight in the front end.. its a car dammit. costly stuff but ur not pimpin if u aint drivin a 240
Old 09-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Just swap in a chevy lt1 or ls1 and supercharge that ****, I gaurantee that would destroy any RB25. I know thats kinda a controversial subject with you guys but i would rather put that in my 240, its cheaper to do, easier to mod, and its even lighter than an RB.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Wow...i dont even know what to say to this thread...

But here, i'll contribute. Get the RB engine --and have someone else install it for you while you're at it. My guess is that you wont even notice a 2-4% weight shift to the front. Hell, get a CF hood and move your battery to the trunk and lessen the impact of having a heavier motor up front. Go be "JDM" and "dorifto" with it, and let us know when you wrap it around a tree showing off to your honda buddies.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tyler_Baldwin
.. and id like to have enuff power in my car that i eat my buddies crx gsr with type r head and gsr internals or sumthin. he drives round thinkin hes king **** and hes adding a nice turbo t3/t4 this winter.. he smokes alot of things out there. with normal average street tires he hit a 14.4 down the quarter mile...
if you think 14.4 on street tires is fast, I had a 13 second daily driven stock internal Nissan that had +2 seats and a stereo

Originally posted by Tyler_Baldwin
...who cares bout time money and weight in the front end.. its a car dammit. costly stuff but ur not pimpin if u aint drivin a 240
ROFL you think 240's are pimp
Old 09-25-2005, 10:28 AM

heres the thing

this topic has been debated before many times on other forums and yes you can drift with the rb, ca, sr, ka, all these motors will drift in a 240, you may have to compensate a little bit but theres no big difference. if you are worried about weight distribution, throw the battery in the trunk. the overall weight distribution change is less than 2%. go to the drift forum section on nico club . com and you will see this thread on there thats been debated for a while now. but the answer is yes you can drift and rb. for a cheap easy install go for the rb20det because with the rb25det you need to buy at least a driveshaft and a mount kit is recommended although i believe if you get the front clip you can just use the crossmember with some minor mods.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Stick with the KA we dont need anymore totalled s-chassis...If you want to build a car for the sole purpose of beating your friend then your building it for the wrong reasons...

Buy a crotch rocket