General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

gauge instalation

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 04:48 PM

gauge instalation

well recently i bought new sunpro gauges (voltmeter, oil pressure, water temp.) and yea i know not the best out there but its alright for the real cheap price i get em for ($10 - full with all the hardware and mounting plate). Now my question is what is the average reading on these gauges. Because i was reading the trouble shooting section and it says "incase of a false low reading go back and... ect ect." But for all i know it could look low but be fine. So if enyone could help me out here that would be great. Oh and i'm just mounting then right to the side of the gauge cluster. Right above all the heating/cooling controls on the dash. If enyone has eny other suggestion as to where to mount them so their not so much right in my face that would be great too. Oh yea and no A-pillar mounting is going to happen, it gets in the way and i had it on my honda and it just pissed me off.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:08 PM

well didnt get much help here but in case enyone was actually wondering. I found a spot for the gauges. Right above the cooling/heating controls where the center heat vent is. I'm taking it out and replacing it with a gauge holder peice that fits it exactly i found on ebay. Looks decent and pretty cheap for the past so i'll see what happens. Just hope i can get that part of my dash off with no problems.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by C-Walk
well didnt get much help here but in case enyone was actually wondering. I found a spot for the gauges. Right above the cooling/heating controls where the center heat vent is. I'm taking it out and replacing it with a gauge holder peice that fits it exactly i found on ebay. Looks decent and pretty cheap for the past so i'll see what happens. Just hope i can get that part of my dash off with no problems.
it should be easy to pop off once you have the center console piece out of the car (attaches with snap clips)

As for the gauge readings, are you going to use an aftermarket water temp sender and oil pressure sender with the gauges?

Water Temp - I'm reading around the 140-160F range depending on how hard I run my car. If you plan on using the factory water temp sender, you won't get an accurate reading because the range of the factory sender isn't large enough to give accurate readings. With that in mind, the location of the temp sender is also equally important.

Oil Pressure - My oil pressure gauge usually floats around 50-70psi. If you plan on using the factory oil pressure switch, you won't get any readings because the factory switch is just an 'on/off' type of sensor.

Volt - Steady at a little below 13v. Voltmeter is easy, just don't hook it directly to a live 12v source or you'll drain your battery quick.

So to get the most out of these gauges (not for just show, but they actually work) you would have to install a water temp sender and oil pressure sender.

Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2004, 08:49 PM

thanks that does help and the gauges came with the aftermarket senders... or at least thats what the small tubing comming from the back of the oil + water gauges are. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by C-Walk
thanks that does help and the gauges came with the aftermarket senders... or at least thats what the small tubing comming from the back of the oil + water gauges are. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Ahh... if there's tubing coming out of the water temp and oil pressure, then they're mechanical gauges - which means that both coolant and oil have to be routed to the cockpit area and to the gauges. The "sender" part is in the gauge itself - technically it's not really a sender anymore because it's not sending a signal to the gauges (like electrical ones). So in this case, you'd have to splice a T-fitting or some other measure to route actual fluid from the engine bay, through the firewall, and into the gauge itself.

Whereas, with electrical gauges, the "checking part" (check temp, pressure, etc.) all happens under the hood, and the only connections from the engine bay to the cockpit are electrical wires to send the signal to the gauge. You basically install the water temp sender somewhere inline with where coolant flows... same with oil temp sender or oil pressure sender. From there it's just a matter of running one wire from each sender, through the firewall, to the gauges.