General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Help! Can't start my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 PM

Help! Can't start my car

Hi! I was trying to start my car this morning but only fast clicking noise was comming out from the starter when I turn the key. Engine and other parts weren't moving nor making any noise at all. I just used a bottle of fuel system cleaner couple days before it happen? Is my starter borken or other parts?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

The fact that you hear a clicking noise when you try to start tells us that your starter is fine. Now, there could be a few reasons why your car will not start. One, your battery could be dead. Maybe you left the lights on or something. Two, your alternator could be bad, which in turn will not allow the battery to recharge. Three, the battery could be bad.

My suggestion would be to jump the car, run it for about 5-10 minutes then shut it off. Then come back to it the next day, and if it starts up fine, then it was most likely just dead. If it doesnt start, then most likely you will need to replace the battery. While you are jumping/running the car, you should turn on as many accessories as you can. Since these accessories run off of the battery alone, this can tell you if the alternator is charging the battery or not.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

95 covered it basically
Old 01-03-2004, 12:27 AM

well but all my lights and other electric components work fine. could it's still be my battery problem?

Thx alot
Old 01-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jackyliem
well but all my lights and other electric components work fine. could it's still be my battery problem?

Thx alot
Hmmm. It is possible that there is just not enough juice to start the car. I know when my battery was really dead, my starter didn't even click. Also, when my battery was going bad, I played a CD for about 5 minutes with the little bit of juice left, then everything shut off. You should still go ahead and try what I said before.

Have you tried to jump it yet?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:33 AM

can my fuel injector or filter be clogged or broken fuel pump?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

That is always possible, but for your sake I would try what I mentioned first. Always look for easy answers before doing unnecessary things.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Actually an audible click from the starter indicates that the starter may be going bad.

Try this:
Turn on the headlights and have someone watch them while you try to start it. If they don't dim at all, the starter motor isn't getting electricity. Check the cables and connectors on the battery and the starter. You can also tap the end of the starter with a small hammer and try it.

If the headlights go out, either your battery is low or your starter motor has gone bad.

Put the car in Park or Neutral and touch the two larger terminals on the starter with a thick screwdriver. If it cranks then the solenoid has gone bad. If you put the key in the on position you can actually start the car this way.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by devnull
Actually an audible click from the starter indicates that the starter may be going bad.

Try this:
Turn on the headlights and have someone watch them while you try to start it. If they don't dim at all, the starter motor isn't getting electricity. Check the cables and connectors on the battery and the starter. You can also tap the end of the starter with a small hammer and try it.

If the headlights go out, either your battery is low or your starter motor has gone bad.

Put the car in Park or Neutral and touch the two larger terminals on the starter with a thick screwdriver. If it cranks then the solenoid has gone bad. If you put the key in the on position you can actually start the car this way.
Hmm.

I wasn't aware of that, I always thought if you could hear the starter it meant that it was ok. Oh well.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:05 PM

I should clarify:
An audible click when the starter is not cranking indicates a possible problem with the starter itself. The click heard is the solenoid engaging. It is possible for the electrical contacts that are closed when the solenoid engages to wear out. If it clicks repeatedly while holding the key to start, then some of the magnetic field windings have failed.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:13 PM

...... hey I guys I just found out that my positive battery clip is broken. thx for the advise.....
Old 01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jackyliem
...... hey I guys I just found out that my positive battery clip is broken. thx for the advise.....
Nice to hear you fixed it.