General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002, 09:58 PM

Question Idle problem

Here's the situation, My S13 is having issues. Sometimes it idles normal around 750rpms. Then out of nowhere it will idle up to 1100-1500rpms. when it idles this high, it hesitates to move when i hit the gas to go in first gear. now when its idling this high and i am parking it, if i turn it off, the car won't start when i go to restart it later. I will start for a split second, then shut off, then it won't crank over and start sounding like when you would run out of gas. I found a trick that somtimes helps, if i take out the fuel pump fuse, and try to start the car it sometimes will start and i just have to put the fuse back in and i can drive the car from that. It doesn't always start with the fuse out, but that seems to be able to get my car started, of course i have to watch the tach a lot when i come to a stop. did a little checking, and i found that the poss issues are either the Fuel pump or the IAA valve. Just curious which one i should look towards first. THe fuel pump is about $90 and don't know anything about the IAA valve yet.

Last edited by altima/240sx; 09-09-2002 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

i'm not positive, but if i had to guess, i'd say it isn't the fuel pump.
but don't make your decision based only on my opinion
Old 09-09-2002, 06:57 PM

the IAA valve from the dealership is $177. OOUUCCHH I had a vaccuum hose leak too that i found today, but that didn't correct the problem once i replaced it. I need some more info from anyone out there that may know. Whenever I rev my motor a ton of black smoke come out of the exhaust pipe. By the way, I just got a custom catback made for it today.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

i dont know anything about anything......
except my car is almost the same way
after i turn it on sometimes the idle falls and falls till it stalls.
but at idle it will run a little low at around 5-600rpm
then it'll go up to 700 or so then drop back.

like its the little KA that could or sumthin.

whats with the pcv(or pvc) valve thing?
Old 09-27-2002, 05:02 PM

the pcv valve, basically regulates the gas build up that circulates with your oil. on our engines, the pcv valve is on the bottom of the block and when the oil passes there, excess gasses are let out there, so it is important....

As far as your stalling problems, and idling problems, I'm going to guess about the MAF on the intake, or something along your exhaust being the culprit. Don't forget regular maintenence thingy's like spark plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:06 PM

altima/240sx:

That black smoke you're seeing may be a few things:

1. Unburnt/ halfway-burnt fuel (running to rich, bad spk plugs)

2. Burning oil & some unburnt fuel. Think about having your head gasket and valve cover gasket changed, this may help. Though, you'd really have to diagnose burnt oil by monitoring the oil levels on a regular basis, and watching for little oil puddles under your engine. This would help determine if your head gasket is gone.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

since we're on the subject of burning stuff.
when i rev hard i get smoke. lots. i'm not sure if its white or blue.

whats the differnce? mind you i'm gettin 8 month old fuel still.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

White smoke=coolant is leaking through the cylinder, thus headgasket is blown or some other cooling problem.

Blue Smoke=Oil is being burnt through, you should check your oil regularly and see if its going down. If it is, then you will need to get a compression test and you can check the .org website on how to do the test.

black smoke=car burning rich, a lot of gas and not enough air or vice versa.

If you drive and floor it, and see smoke and its pretty much stock, then the seals or rings are done. That is exactly what happening with my car and everytime we are rolling around as a crew and driving I always hear smoke was comign out the exhaust so I know oil is burning through and will have to SR swap that bad boy when the engine completely dies.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

luckily for me and the car a front clip will be here this winter so as long as my engine can last a little while longer then i'm good.