General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

info on what to get for my 91 240sx se

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:07 PM

info on what to get for my 91 240sx se

hey guys i had a 92 nissan 240 sx about three years ago and bought a subaru impreza 2.5rs wich i turbo'd and did high mod's to it. anyways i missed my nissan when i sold it so i bought a 240sx se with lsd and stuff i was wondering what would be the best for my car to be set up for drift i forgot alot about these cars parts i mean i am already porting the heads and stuff. but i wanna go with either the sr20det or the vf30 any body have advice. i dont have to worry about body kits or anything my buddy is a custom fabricator. sol he is making me a custom wide body. anyways. my 91 has tokico suspension on it now. which are really good. katana 17" rims. injen air intake. and apexi n1 full 3" exhaust. please let me know what i can do that is kinda cheap to mine untill im ready to conver this into a project car. and drive my subaru around. my suby is sponsored so hopefully i can get my 240 also. all help is appreciated. ~don~
Old 09-14-2005, 06:03 PM

why are you working on the head when you want to do a motor swap? you should've put it off till you've decided on what motor you want in there. no point in spending time/money on a motor that you're not going to use. (and i'm sure you meant vg30 not vf30)

everyone will tell you that you need to learn the car before you start modding it to drift. the car/mods don't make the drifter, the driver does.

if you're dead set on doing mods now, you should do mods that will carry over to the project phase of the car. cheap or expensive, no point in doing a mod that you'll have to redo later on.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

welcome to the forums.

After reading your post, my sugestion is learn how to drive. A parts list doesn't make a good driver.

Then when you feel like you're ready (no one waits until they are - they get too impatient anyways) then you could start with the following:

1. Find a vf30. You won't, there's no such thing.

2. Widebody doesn't make you a better driver. Look to invest in other things.

3. Dump the 17" FF offset wheels, since you want to look like a drifter, right?

4. 3" exhaust on your car doesn't make it faster - it just makes it loud and annoying.

5. Use the 'search' button, and read everything there is about sr20det's and engine swapping and correct suspension tuning and setup.

Cheers.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

^ I completely agree w/ Raine. Except - 3" exhaust on your car doesn't make it faster - it just makes it loud and annoying.
IF you do decide to go turbo that will be a good exhaust, besides that, it just makes it loud and annoying.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:10 PM

ok just for pointers. i know how to drive. i know how to drift already so im not neding to learn how to drive. i just needed information. on what is good and what not. i didnt need your smart *** remarks. i know how to drive and what not. i rally race for the scca. hence why my subaru is sponsored. im not looking for drifting on the 240 just want it to be nice a fast at the same time. so if you guys wernt such asses to people and actually knew some people dont buy 240s just for drift. then you would get somewhere. my buddy works for nissan and i told him that people that own other nissans on his forum where bad about telling people off. and i gues now i was right. and yes the vg30 was a type-o. i ment the vg if you look closely on the keypad of your computer you will see the f is right near the g........... and i am doing the head work for the hell of it. i am doing a motor swap to it but im just doing it cause i have the time. i dont care about all that. thanks for the great info. and i know the 3" ehaust is good for turbo setup cause i already have one on my subaru. thanks for your guys help. glad to see how you treat "new-b's. cause you think we are all stupid i use to own a 240sx before and then i was into drifting but i got out of it and now i rally race.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 PM

Re: info on what to get for my 91 240sx se

Originally posted by 240sedrifter
im not looking for drifting on the 240 just want it to be nice a fast at the same time
umm.. really?

i was wondering what would be the best for my car to be set up for drift
ok
Old 09-14-2005, 10:56 PM

ok so i did say that sorry. i mean dont get me wrong drifting is the **** but im not going to do it alot. cause i dont want to. i do it enough in my subaru. at the car scene and stuff. it gets alot of looks. it already has drift suspension so i wanted to stick with the whole drift setup. like i said i will do it. but i deff am not a new-b at drifting. i have done it in my old 240sx i drifted in a parking lot inbetween two cars. i know you might not believe me cause you guys just doubt everything judging by what i have seen already. but i know i have people that where there to see it including general managers at office max. so ohh well if you guys cant help just say you cant or dont want to rather than saying **** bad about someone you dont even know.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

If you say you know how to DRIFT, and you say you have DRIFTED before, then you must have done the research on how to set up your car to "DRIFT specs"

If not, please do it now Search like the rest of us.

Either way you dont really need parts to be a good DRIFTER it helps but is not necassary. Hence why I put DRIFT specs in quotations...Ill take this quote I remember reading when I first started my research...this was LandHo I think...

Push your car to its limits before you expand its limits
In otherwords, learn to drift first, I doubt you really know how Between two cars in the office max parking lot

Last edited by Fast1One; 09-14-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:03 AM

the problem was that in your first post, you just asked for what parts in general you should put on your car. wrong question. no one is here to tell you what to put on YOUR car.

modifying a car for rally requires extensive work to the suspension to withstand the stressed put on it. so if infact you do rally race and you've made all necessary modifications, then we would assume you have a working knowledge of suspension setups. yet, your post makes it seem like you have no idea where to start. strikes me as odd.

and let me get this right, in your other thread you say you're 17.
and you had a 92 240sx three years ago? so at the age between 14-17 you've drifted the 240sx at a office max parking lot, sold the 240, then bought a 2.5rs and started rally racing and got sponsored? i was under the impression that you get your drivers license at the age of 17 in NY. so in a really short amount of time (without a proper drivers license) you learned to rally race well enough to get sponsored? also strikes me as odd.

no one was trying to give you ****, everyone was just speaking the truth. get to know the car before you start to mod it. once you figure out how the car acts with its stock components you can figure out the weak spots and start modding from there. no one here was willing to give you a list of things you should put on the car because that is all driver preference.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM

ok i understand where you are comming from but the way i saw it was everybody was trying do shoot me down. i didnt say i was 17 i said im not a 17 year old that just started driving i know my stuff. i use to know alot about the 240sx. but when i bought my subaru i spent so much time and concintration on that that i forgot alot about the nissans. you serve a good point now that i see. im sorry that i took things the wrong way its just totally differnt on the subaru forum people will give you help when needed and dont like come back in a way that you guys did. so im sorry. but about the rallying i do do that. its my life. but when i sold the 240 that was my first car. i missed it and regretting selling it. so i had to get another one. well you guys have a good one.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

i use to know alot about the 240sx. but when i bought my subaru i spent so much time and concintration on that that i forgot alot about the nissans.
I dont like that...FORGOT! Than your not a true enthusiest... I agree with concepts14. Slidin around in a parking lot is not drifting...Use these tools to get started...

Click here and here
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 PM

ok see like i said before.......... when i had the 240 people wernt making alot of stuff for it so that is the main reason why i sold the car. but right after i sold it i noticed an increase of parts. that is when i wanted to go back to getting a 240. i love the look of the old style 24sx i dont like the 95 and up style that much but they are nice. anyways. i didnt FORGET everything about the car just the major stuff....... so lay off my back dude...i like concepts14 advice and i appreciate it.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

get

megan racing coilovers
a welded diff
a few chassis braces here and there
get some wheels around 8 inch wide and around 10 offset

a bunch of cheap tires on donuts?

sounds good to me
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

haha,... people are funny on here.. anyways..

I would probably start with some suspension stuff, ie, strut bars, tie rods, tension rods, rucas, etc..

Maybe do some interior mods.. seats, shifter, shift ****, steering wheel, lighten in the car up a bit..

5 lug swap, better wheels/tires with nice offset, 300zx brakes or something similar..

umm, look at a new radiator, fan, battery... if you're only going to choose from either engine, i'd go with the SR20DET swap, for the fact that it will be much cheaper, easier, and a lot of aftermarket support.

basically, i'm just listing stuff you should get if you're not sure of the swap you're doing.. I'd stay with the KA24DE personally and turbo it... but it's your choice... do some searching and what not.. most people won't be nice and answer, they'll just tell you the search