General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Intermittent Wipers not working

Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 PM

Intermittent Wipers not working

For the past few years, my intermittent wipers have not worked at all. The two other speeds, fast and extremely fast, work perfectly though. I was looking through my factory service manual, and found that the possible causes of the problem are either A) The Time Control Unit (TCU), B) The wiper amp, or C) the wiper switch.

The problem is that I have no idea where any of these things are located. I searched around this site, Zilvia, and 240sxforums, and didn't really find any answers, hence this thread....

I took these two pictures in my engine bay and I'm pretty sure one of them is the wiper amp, so if you know which is the amp, let me know, and then tell me what the other one is...

I think this one is the wiper amp, but not positive, as i've read in a bunch of threads that its located on the passenger side, though that my only be for s14's...

Here's the other side of the engine bay, I think this is the wiper motor, but again, i'm not positive on that...

As for the Time Control Unit, I have no idea where it is at all. The FSM doesn't give a very good description of its location. So if anyone knows, please let me know.

Also as far as when the FSM refers to the wiper switch, is it talking about the physical switch on the steering column?

Finally, As I was looking around for the TCU, I was checking under the driver side kickpanel and I found this connector that isn't plugged into anything. Does anyone have any idea what this thing is? Here's a picture:

Thanks to anyone who replies!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 PM

I've gotten answers to most of my questions from other forums...

First picture is wiper amp.
Second picture is wiper motor.
Third picture is consult port.
Time control unit is below the fuse box under the driver kick panel.

Last edited by Meccathor; 07-16-2005 at 08:30 AM.