General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Japan Domestic Motors? good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 PM

Japan Domestic Motors? good?

I was looking around for a cheap sr20. Japan Domestic Motrs has a good deal. $1500 for an sr20det. I emailed them. They said it comes with all the mounts, wiring harness, turbo hardware, and much more (basically everything I need for the swap, supposedly). Are they really reliable. I don't want to just take their word that it comes with all the stuff I need. Who of you has bought from them, are they descent, and were you pleased with all you got? Thank you. (I didn't know where to post this, move it if this is wrong, lol, I don't know why I can't navigate htis site :P )
Old 11-18-2004, 07:57 PM

You get what you pay for. Period.

Search around the forums for people that tried to find a "cheap" sr swap and ended up getting screwed in one way or another.

Is this a clip or a motorset?

My advice, and im sure the advice of everyone else, pay the extra money to get a clip from a reputable importer(ie,

www.phase2motortrend.com
www.mckinneymotorsports.com
www.jarcoinc.com
www.projectsilvia.com
www.heavythrottle.com
www.enjukuracing.com ->www.srparts.com
Old 11-21-2004, 09:44 PM

I bought a motor set from them. Good initial service..tracking numbers, timely shipping..etc etc etc

The motor gets here, it's like sitting THRU the pallet, oil pan dented in onto the pickup basically. Fin on the clutch fan is broken. I call them, they pretty much told me to pound out the oil pan, and as for the fan, eat a dick. I point out that I paid a chunk of change for insurance on my motor set..they say "well what you gotta do is refuse the motor when it arrives".

So I'm all pissed but I go about my business. Pull the tranny off, and the clutch disc is missing. Flywheel and pressure plate are there (they are some unidentified aftermarket ones..not stock). I take pictures, send em, they, in essence, say "are you retarded? you obviously just took it off because you're trying to get a free clutch". So me, being an 18-year-old at my wit's end, put my dad on the phone. He gets them to send me two electric fans for free, and paypal me $100 towards a clutch. And that was pretty much the end of my dealings with them.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Dustbunnie
I bought a motor set from them. Good initial service..tracking numbers, timely shipping..etc etc etc

The motor gets here, it's like sitting THRU the pallet, oil pan dented in onto the pickup basically. Fin on the clutch fan is broken. So I'm all pissed but I go about my business. Pull the tranny off, and the clutch disc is missing. Flywheel and pressure plate are there (they are some unidentified aftermarket ones..not stock). I take pictures, send em, they, in essence, say "are you retarded? you obviously just took it off because you're trying to get a free clutch". So me, being an 18-year-old at my wit's end, put my dad on the phone. He gets them to send me two electric fans for free, and paypal me $100 towards a clutch. And that was pretty much the end of my dealings with them.
Man sounds like you got a decent set, the pan IS usually dented. I've never used the clutch fan let alone even got one,and you'd be dumb to use the old clutch. But, your DAD must have been quite convincing to get what you got from them.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:14 PM

Well sure, some people don't use the old fan, and some people do or don't use the old clutch, but the point I was trying to get across was that their service sucked..they advertised a motor set with an intact fan and a clutch that had all of the components there..and when that didn't happen, they told me I was ****ed on part of it, and called me a liar on the other part.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:59 AM

Did you get a full wiring harness and ECU?
Old 12-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Wow.... Some people dont know when to quit. Telling people is one thing, but accusing a customer is another. Thats BS right there!

I'll ask my friend where he got his sr20det and then post it here. He said he got it the way it was in the picture and nothing wrong with it. I ask him tomorrow or soemthing. Then post it here.