General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Looking to buy an S13 240.. some thoughts/FYI/warnings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 05:42 PM

Question Looking to buy an S13 240.. some thoughts/FYI/warnings?

Hey guys. I've wanted a rear wheel drive ever since I learned the benefits/fun of it over the FWD car I own. I'm not sure when exactly I really started to notice 240sx's, but as of awhile now, I have decided that this is the cheap RWD japanese car to go with. Plus I like the fact that you do not see many of them, around here are least. Also.. I have never even run into an an S13 silvia conversion, or an S15 conversion either. Of course I see the occasional stock S14, driven by a local middle-aged (or older!) couple.. That just makes these cars that much more exotic, and appealing to me.

Anyway, I am not looking to spend too much.. Maybe about $2500 to $3000 for an S13 240sx. What is important to me is a decent body/interior of course, but mainly I need one that will be reliable in stock conditon for awhile, as I will have this as my main form of transportation, and I'm not terribly rich (in college! heh). I am just wondering how reliable these cars are, as I have seen some for this price with around 100-130 k or so on them. I have seen some for more money, with even more miles! The idea that I have seen listings for some with 180 to over 200 k on them, is heartening.

Also, I want to have the car stock so i can learn the 'ropes' with it as a lowered powered RWD before I would ever try and make it more powerful. I figure, this should coincide nicely with me being able to save a little more money in a year or two.. heh.

I am thinking I want to get the 180sx style body, rather than the silvia coupe style. I don't know if I would want to keep the 240/180sx style front, or maybe make it a Sil-80 (or I guess.. rather a Sil-40, heh). But anyway, there would definitely be plans for an sr20det swap in the future.

Well.. basically, what are some citicisms of my plans? Any input from the veteran owners would be welcomed. Anything I should look for/stay away from/check when looking to buy? Any differences in years of the S13 gen 240's.. any trim level I should try to find.. you know. Anything like that, that a noob should know, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks alot to anyone who takes the time to read and responde. -Trav
Old 11-16-2003, 08:28 PM

http://www.zilvia.net/links/links.asp
Scroll to 240SX Online Literature.