General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Me>Apex'i Technical Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Me>Apex'i Technical Support

Apex'i Technical Support= Worthless

If anyone can answer my questions, massive propers to you..

Question 1: All installation of the AVC-R seem to show the pressure sensor connected to a vacuum line from the INTAKE MANIFOLD....

Does anyone know if it is okay (I think it would actually be better) to run a vacuum line to the hot pipe instead? It seems that getting the signal directly from the compressor (or at least very close) would provide quicker response than getting the signal from after the intercooler....

Question 2: Can you tune the AVC-R solenoid duty on a RPM basis IN DIFFERENT GEARS separately?

You are told that the unit has "gear specific learning mode", and you are also told that you can change the duty cycle manually for each RPM....when you make these changes on an RPM basis, does it affect all of the gears, or is there a way to tune the RPM-based duty cycles for each of the gears separately?

Anyone that answers this will be my hero for the day, since APEX'i tech support was absolutely uselss.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

i would go off the intake manifold. you will get a more accurate reading, the air condenses quited a bit when it goes through the intercooler, as much as a few psi drop... this might have something to do with their reccomendation.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by silviaks2nr
i would go off the intake manifold. you will get a more accurate reading, the air condenses quited a bit when it goes through the intercooler, as much as a few psi drop... this might have something to do with their reccomendation.

Then that makes the ready at the manifold less accurate in terms of what the true boost of the air coming out of the turbo is....thus my question.....

Also, I called Greddy, and checked online, and it seems "top of the line" intercoolers usually have ~1 psi drop across the intercooler
Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by silviaks2nr

Then that makes the reading at the manifold less accurate in terms of what the true boost of the air coming out of the turbo is....thus my question.....

Also, I called Greddy, and checked online, and it seems "top of the line" intercoolers usually have ~1 psi drop across the intercooler
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

i agree with silviaks2nr because you want the psi reading thats going to the engine, so the intake manifold is the best place.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 PM

Oh my god will someone else please answer my question......

I agree that that position tells you the boost of the air going into the engine, but that is not what I said...

What I said was "It seems that placing the pressure sensor near the hot pipe would give you better feedback"

i.e. when you do something to the wastegate (partially open or close), the effect this has on the change of boost is picked up more quickly (when the air leaves the compressor, as opposed to after it goes all the way to the manifold)

You have to look at it like a given "unit" of air carries information (it's pressure and temperature) as it makes it's way from the compressor to the manifold
Old 11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

well yes, that's why you route the wastegate actuator to the compressor outlet or hotpipe.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 PM

Ok good, now what I am saying is the following.....

First the wastegate makes some action....this action causes a change in the pressure of a "unit" of air leaving the turbo.....

When is this "change" detected.....when it gets to the pressure sensor!

I am proposing that placing the pressure sensor closer to the turbo would cause better feedback....

Obviously, you wouldn't then know the pressure going into the manifold (due to psi drop across intercooler),

but as far as speed of feedback on the pressure control is concerned, this would seem to be faster feedback (the "unit" of air is detected after a shorter period of time)
Old 11-29-2006, 06:02 AM

No it wont give you a better feedback, because when the throttle body closes there wont be no vacuum. If you hook it straight to your intake phlenim it would always have some vacuum reading.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 AM

This is something I haven't thought of....good thinking....

I am still not purely convinced yet, but it doesn't matter

IS ANYONE FAMILIAR ENOUGH WITH THE AVC-R TO ANSWER QUESTION #2?

"Question 2: Can you tune the AVC-R solenoid duty on a RPM basis IN DIFFERENT GEARS separately?

You are told that the unit has "gear specific learning mode", and you are also told that you can change the duty cycle manually for each RPM....when you make these changes on an RPM basis, does it affect all of the gears, or is there a way to tune the RPM-based duty cycles for each of the gears separately?"

Thanks alot guys
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM

Answer question #2: There is no way in hell that it can tell what gear you are in. So you can only probaly tune it per RPM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:18 PM

^^^^no matter what gear you are in. Sorry, I would have editd my post but it wouldnt let me. MODERATOR whats going on.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM

^^^^no matter what gear you are in. Sorry, I would have editd my post but it wouldnt let me. MODERATOR whats going on. It keeps on saying page cannot be displayed.