General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

new idea for wings

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:13 PM

Your going to have a tough time just making a rear wing that creates 3x the downforce. People who want and need downforce for driving, i.e F1 have already found it and am sure they aren't looking for more. Downforce consists of just more that a peice of fiberglass on the back of your car. It's the way the air flows around the entire car. Moreso underneath it. I could put a rear diffuser on my car which run wind tunnels underneath the car essentially sticking it to the ground. Spoiler doesn't mean the back either, it could be your front bumper which is providing you with more road holding abilities. Adding 3x times the weight of the car to just the back end will not allow you to steer at all, just accelerate. So in trying to help, why don't you make something that will evenly distribute 3x the force to the entire car, then you'll be able to turn and accelerate like no other, not to mention I'd be first in line to buy your product.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Like many things this probably sounds beter on paper then it will be in real life. F1 teams spend millions, if not billions every year trying to out do each other so chances ar one a real version is made it will not preform how you expect it to.

Like Ghettostamps said downforce is created many ways besides a wing nad the f1 cars use them all. Not to discurege you but wind tunnel testing is very expenisive.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Ghettostamps
Your going to have a tough time just making a rear wing that creates 3x the downforce. People who want and need downforce for driving, i.e F1 have already found it and am sure they aren't looking for more. Downforce consists of just more that a peice of fiberglass on the back of your car. It's the way the air flows around the entire car. Moreso underneath it. I could put a rear diffuser on my car which run wind tunnels underneath the car essentially sticking it to the ground. Spoiler doesn't mean the back either, it could be your front bumper which is providing you with more road holding abilities. Adding 3x times the weight of the car to just the back end will not allow you to steer at all, just accelerate. So in trying to help, why don't you make something that will evenly distribute 3x the force to the entire car, then you'll be able to turn and accelerate like no other, not to mention I'd be first in line to buy your product.
yo, man i said 3x the downforce the wing will give you, not 3x the weight of the car!
Old 03-13-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by Z-bra
yo, man i said 3x the downforce the wing will give you, not 3x the weight of the car!
ok, then 3x the downforce in comparison to what? a stock wing? an aftermarket wing? what are you mulitplying by 3?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:34 PM

i think its bs... and if you even tell us.. its like i 'ma go and patent that sht and steal your idea.. at least i am not... because i dont see anyother way of you doing it except messing with the angles.

whatelse can you do to get that much downforce? make a quadruple rear wing?
Old 03-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by DRiften
i think its bs... and if you even tell us.. its like i 'ma go and patent that sht and steal your idea.. at least i am not... because i dont see anyother way of you doing it except messing with the angles.

whatelse can you do to get that much downforce? make a quadruple rear wing?
did APC come out with a new wing already? j/k
Old 03-14-2005, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Ghettostamps
ok, then 3x the downforce in comparison to what? a stock wing? an aftermarket wing? what are you mulitplying by 3?
3x the comparison to a peice of 45 by 12 inch of flat metal at an angle straped to the rear deck of your car, which applies 25% of the downforce of the idea! Get my drift!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:15 AM

For the first and last time the idea is not to change the angle of the wing, nor is it to make a "quadrupo deck spoiler"
Old 03-14-2005, 09:31 AM

rocket surgery it is... i think this has more to do with manipulating air pressure on both sides of the wing, and reducing unwanted turbulence. mind you this is speculation, so i have no idea if i'm right or wrong. of course, well made wings work by doing this, but im assuming Z-bra is theorizing on a new way to manipulate the airflow around the wing.

there are a lot of factors that go into making a wing with 3x the amount of downforce of a 45"x12" air foil. but how much downforce do other wings put out in comparison to your benchmark? what if other wings put out 2.5x what your air foil does? the gain there is minimal, but if you want to do it to prove it, i wish you good luck.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:34 AM

Is this purely for stability? Because your lap times will definately suffer if you want 3x the downforce than a 45x12 on your car. And does anyone know how much force the 45x12 produces and at what speeds?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

You know how they have the flame and dragon wing? (wit like, a little dragon or lame design on the side) They should make Fat Man Wings like that.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 PM

well if not messing up with the angle. would it be push the panel of the wing towards the end? just like those rocket car?

I donno why I just want to keep guessing your idea. haha
Old 03-14-2005, 04:16 PM

maybe he coats it in butter... or in regards to what ghettostamps had to say on a thread about wax, chocolate milk.

i say if you are getting a considerable jump in USABLE downforce (i define usable as not causing more drag than current designs) then this is a worthwhile venture. the problem is the 45X12 is not a standard benchmark, and you havent tested the 45x12 against a wing already in production. if you can get some numbers to compare your findings, then even MORE power to you, but until then, you have just as much idea as pep boys as to how useful your new wing design is. (no hate, but thas just how it is)
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

I think someone has been watching to much day time tv with those patent commericals.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Darren337
maybe he coats it in butter... or in regards to what ghettostamps had to say on a thread about wax, chocolate milk.
Dude you have no idea the wonders of chocolate milk...