General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

Reliability/repair of SR and RB motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Reliability/repair of SR and RB motors

I was wondering about the reliability of the SR20DET and the RB25DET. I'm considering a 240 very strongly, but I'm a little leery of having a car with a Japanese motor. Is it difficult to obtain replacement parts when stuff breaks? Thanks!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:35 AM

Although the parts may be considered JDM they are not that rare any more. You should not have any problems finding replacement and maintance parts. I think the answer lies within the "Japanese" motor clause - parts are fairly available.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:28 AM

How far are you planning on going with the mods?

If you keep the motor/boost levels fairly std, the motors are reliable - as long as you treat them as they require (warm up/warm down and change oil/filter every 3000 miles)
Old 08-07-2003, 02:37 PM

well, with either an rb or sr swap, i don't plan to go too far beyond stock. turbo timer, front mount IC, new downpipe, exhaust, maybe up the boost a few psi, hi flow cat, bov, etc. i dont think ill have the money to upgrade the turbo, so basically ill just try to use it to its full potential and keep the engine reliable and detonation free. i'll definitely stay below 300 hp for either swap. if done right, would the engine be okay for a long period of time as a daily driver?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:27 AM

Here is my motor spec

Nissan RB25DET (Skyline R33 GTS25t) engine transplant with Skyline x-member and custom wiring loom, custom prop-shaft and gearbox mounts
Standard R33 GTS25t gearbox
Standard S13 Limited Slip Diff (3.9:1 ratio)
Apexi Power FC ECU
Hybrid turbo (T3 turbine wheel in bored out standard housing and T04 wheel in bored out standard compressor housing)
NGK Triple Electrode Spark Plugs
‘Sub-Zero Performance’ custom inlet manifold with big bore throttle body from Ford Falcon V8
Custom polished stainless steel hard piping kit for Air intake, and Intercooler/turbo pipes
Polished cam covers, colour coded cam belt cover
Apexi Power Intake induction Kit
HKS Type S Front Mount Intercooler custom fitted
HKS EVC VI boost controller solenoid box
Custom 3” front pipe/de-cat mated to Blitz NUR Spec-R cat back system with custom front flange (3”)
SE Nissan Twin Electric Fan kit (Pacet Fans) and remote relay thermostat
Blitz High-Pressure Radiator Cap
Blitz Oil Filler Cap
Walbro GSS 341 255L/Hour fuel pump
Custom fuse box

Its a bit OTt, with everything listed...

On the std ECU and turbo making 0.8 bar onthe rollers I made 270rwhp - approx 330 at the flywheel.

You "should" be able to make that all day reliably. 300 was acheived staright away, but the 190L/hour pump gave up very quickly.

In Australia they have huys running 440bhp (at the fly) on std bottom ends, but I would risk it. I would like 400 - thats the next goal, but I think a bit of work may be required for reliability...

We have guys making a reliable everyday 280bhp on std turbo on the SR cars. If you drop a gasket in there too, it makes it safer and possible get 300bhp with a bit more boost.

If you do decide to go for RB I would invest in an upgared radiator - I think you would benefit from the extra cooling.

Matt