General For General 240sx/Silvia (s-chassis) discussions.

won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 PM

won't start

okay, for the past few weeks i have been having trouble off an on with starting the car. it cranks like it should but never starts. it will push start but using the starter doesn't work. today it wouldn't start and we got it push started, I let it run for a few minutes and it was fine. then i parked it for a few hours, came back it started at first but then died. we got it push started again and i drove it but it was very rough under 2000rpms then it stalled in the middle of traffic
I don't know what is wrong with it, last time this happened the terminals were loose on the battery we made sure this time they were tight and still could only push start it.
does anyone know what could be the culprit? this car has been ruining my dates with it crapping out on me
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

well, you can start by changing the starter, then get your alternator tested, and if that's good, get your battery checked or change it
Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaban
well, you can start by changing the starter, then get your alternator tested, and if that's good, get your battery checked or change it
do what he said but start with the batt then the alt then the starter seeing as thats cheapest to most expensive repair wise.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaban
Dont go all buck wild changing ****, test it first. Autozone will test the battery, alternator, and all that for free. Make sure you're getting fuel and spark, and go from there.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Club240 Staff

Sounds like two things

You dont have enough voltage/amperage to run the starter AND the ignition. So when you are cranking the power is to low to ignite. If so, run through the suggestions above to test everything. Should be your starting point

Or, some relay/connection is bad making it so when the key is in the start position, there is no ignition power being supplied at all. If all tests for the above option are clear, then move to testing this by having someone look for spark while you are cranking. Be sure to disconnect the injectors while checking
Old 05-23-2008, 05:54 PM

the car started fine today. its a damn intermitent problem. we did however find that on the bottom of the BPT valve there was a ripped vacuum line