How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

how to increase oil pressure in 5 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

how to increase oil pressure in 5 minutes

my oil pressure was a bit low and after everything checked out fine i decided it was pump related, here's what i did and what happened. but first the disclaimer.

i am aware that there are several factors that can lead to having low oil pressure and this is just one remedy for the problem. the fact that this worked for me is in no way a guarantee that it will for you.

this apples to both the sohc and dohc or any oil pump that works on these principals. as you can see both pumps use a regulator valve that is spring loaded which with time can become weak and reduce oil pressure.

first remove the regulator assembly cap being careful not to lose the spring located inside. also as you might expect there will be some oil flowing out so be prepared. next you'll need a washer that has the same or close to the same outer diameter and the inner diameter of the cap.

i used this 1/16" lock washer because it was the first one i found that fit just right.

then just put the spring and cap back on and you're done. with this 1/16" washer my oil pressure went from 55psi to 62psi at 3000rpms under no load. pressure should be 60psi-70psi so i'm happy.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 12-02-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: still not proof reading my posts.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Dang man, impressive results!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 AM

how is the washer bringing up the OP

im a heavy equipment tech for cat so i understand hydraulics, and pressure valves an all, an maybe its just because im really tired, but its jus not clicking how the washer made a difference, because the spring should control what pressure that valves starts to open,
the only thing i can come up with is the washer u used thinner making the spring just a tad tighter?
if thats the case, and your spring was NOT worn out, then that would prolly make the spring wear out sooner
all in all im surprised that you got that much of a boost in pressure from the washer, good work
Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fadedsilvia
the only thing i can come up with is the washer u used thinner making the spring just a tad tighter?

if thats the case, and your spring was NOT worn out, then that would prolly make the spring wear out sooner
i'm not a technician of any sort nor do i have any form of formal training so i can't expound as to the why of it all. what i can tell you is that it works the same way a manual boost control and adjustable fpr do. all you do is increase spring tension to get the desired pressure. while the added load on the spring can weaken further, a 1/16" thick washer isn't going to have any adverse affects on a 20yr old spring.

i should also note that not too long ago nissan motorsport (nismo) manufactired and sold higher rate replacement springs for this very purpose. so as much as i'd like to take the credit, this is not an idea that is 100% original nor my own.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 AM

i would go out an get that nismo spring personally, it cant be to much since its just a small spring, cuz the spring u got now isnt gonna go newhere but down hill an ull end up havin to get a new one sooner or lter neway, but u might as well wait now an cross that bridge when u get there, chances r itll last u quite a while the way it is
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

the plan was to get the nismo spring but it no longer available. this more than anything is a way of isolating the problem or a temporary quick fix.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 AM

oooooo, i c ic
didnt no they were no longer available, my bad!
im sure ull be good for a while though
maybe i should see what my oil pressure is as well.....
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

time for an update.

i recently bought the oil regulator valve assembly from courtesynissan.com. surprisingly it came with 3 1mm thick washers. that's nearly 1/8" which is just about twice as thick as the washer i was using. now the oil pressure is at about 65psi according to my gauge.

all in all my original set up worked and cost pennies, i attribute the increase of 3psi to a combination of more washers and lack of wear on the regulator valve. both springs felt about the same so i wouldn't say there was any benefit from a new spring.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 07-28-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

good stuff. i never seen this before.