How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:28 AM

HA, I did it, it worked great, awesome tip, I calculated about 130mph (i had to take a corner before i went too fast)
Old 01-06-2006, 05:31 AM

the easiest way around the speed governor is to just get an ecu from an automatic ecu because they dont have them! easiest way and no rewiring or anything like that.... i did it do mine and there were no problems with anything just better speed able to be reach...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:27 AM

ok, would you rather buy and install another ecu or just cut one wire ?
Old 01-29-2006, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

uh...buy en ecu from eBay....cheap there for those who dont like to mess with wires
Old 01-30-2006, 03:57 PM

ok. good luck buyin an ecu from egay.
plus at the end you are still gonna have to mess with wires and reinstallation of the who ecu.

but, whatever you choose its your decision.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:53 PM

Actually, I have 2 Automatic ECU's. both work perfectly. And Its true, they don't have the Speed limiter. BUT they do have Rev limiter at 5Krpms. Now thats b/c it knows is in 4th, but if your remove the 5 gear sensor, its ok, or I gues since it doesn't have the AT computer, it'll work fine. So far I've heard that Auto ECU don't have the limiter and they work with Manual tranny. Since they don't understand manual Tranny, they don't limit the revs in 5th. I'm willing to sell the ECU's at 20$. they work b/c I had them in my car. they are 91 and 93. PM me for anything

EDIT NOTE: I changed the price from 25 to 20$, They work pretty good guys, I used them on my car, and its a "Bolt on" simple thing to make the car go faster, don't risk cutting the rong wire and burning sumthing.

Last edited by Joel SX; 01-31-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:52 PM

Calibration? - I know changing the size of the tires, adding bolt ons... etc. Can irregulate the stock Tach/Speedometer. Could possibly all of your 'speed calculations' be wrong depending on where your engine is at along with the inconsistancy of stock tachs? This is a question. Not a smart-*** hypothetical thing haha..

I'd think there's a better way to do this governer trick. I'll have to look into it, If I find something out i'll be sure to let you guys know.

Thanks for posting your ideas and testing them yourselves!
More Power, More Speed, More cheap than buying parrts and paying for installation, that's what this forum ish is all about!

But thanks especially to whoever posted buying the components from HKS - that's the main reason I kept reading all of the repeated replies :P
Old 01-31-2006, 10:45 AM

^^^^^I don't want to be rude but, if you read the whole 10 pages, you can see that every single type of mod and adjustment that can be made to pass the speed governor has been discused and explained to the detail here, and every theory of how to do it has been proven right/wrong. but feel free to try to find one, maybe you will and save others sum time.

and the calculations are right. Adding bigger diameter wheels (rims) to your car can change the speed values a bit. Very litle, but multiply by the 125+ miles we are going, the add up. Its like drivign one of those cadillacs with 30" rims, they are way off the speed sensor rating.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:21 PM

Yeah my apologies, usually waht I do is open a note pad and enter in all my quesitons and see if they get answered, I forgot to double check :P

The reason I asked about the tire varience is because my friend had a truck and got like 2" bigger rims/tires and his speedo was off, and he told the cops he got aftermarket rims/tires and they said he needs to have his truck recalibrated, and it got him out of the ticket! - But either way, I just wanted to be sure it was accurate...

You weren't rude, your reply to me was more than appropriate and I thank you for the way it was delivered
Old 01-31-2006, 06:24 PM

Oh, and I've seen those 'plug'n'program' things for trucks where it reprograms the ecu, fuel map etc... but it also has a function to disable the governer/change the rev limiter, I'll check and see if I can find one for the nissan. Cuz I think they're cheaper than the HKS 'mod' and has more features
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 AM

yes. altering the wheel size will throw off the speedometer.

but adding bolts on or doing the speedbypass will never alter speedometer reading.
- bolts on mess with performance (increase you acceleration)
- if 2 cars have the same exact drivetrain, but one has 500 hp more than the other, they will still have the same speed at the same RPMS. its just that the car with 500hp more will get to that certain speed way quicker than the other one.

so dont believe if one says:
"Heey yooo, i added this intake and now my first gear is 5 miles faster yooo...." <---- Idiot.

feel free to ask any questions,
DRiften
Old 04-22-2006, 06:09 AM

isunpluged the 5th gear rev and am looking to buy some wire but before i go into this blindfolded is there a way to do this without killing the speedometer?
Old 04-22-2006, 03:08 PM

Oops double post. Please delete.

Last edited by doriftomodachi; 04-22-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:09 PM

Just cut the yellow/green wire. Looking at the ecu towards the front of the car at the blue ecu connector to the ecu, it's the 8th wire down on the left sode of the connector. You will get a check engine code though but it's way easier.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:46 AM

i cut the wire yesterday i got a 91 se and so far no problems but bad thing is to many strobe lights out lastnight so couldnt test it maybe tonight.

onimaeslidell

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor / Governor (sp?) BYPASS