NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

240 running like crap, tried searching....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 PM

240 running like crap, tried searching....

Ok, my car has been sitting for over a month and I'm just now getting around to fixing it.
Here is what it does :
work like crap
Here is what it doesn't do :
work good

I'd like to fix that problem lol.

The car is missing on one cylinder, rough idles, wont start without giving it some gas, and runs *** slow, when it runs at all. It will also stall out when I rev it up sometimes. Granted it hasn't moved for a month, but the symptoms haven't changed. Oh, and when it first fires up it blows a decent amount of white smoke out the exhaust, nothing major and it stops after about 20-30 seconds.

I'm confident I have narrowed it down to cylinder #2. At first I thought it migt have been the fuel injector, replaced it with a new one (the old one was kinda gunked up) and it didn't fix the problem. I checked the spark, seems ok in all the cylinders except 2, which was there, but not quite as powerful as the rest. I bought new plugs and wires, still didn't fix the problem. I don't *think* it's a problem with air...it doesn't remind me of a leak, and i've checked around in there. I'd really like to get this thing running for a few months until I put the swap in. I know now would be an opportune time, but whatever lol. I'm tired of driving around my gtp, autos are no fun. So please, any help would be appreciated!!! Is there something else I should test or check?
Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

check the compression in the cylinders to see if it has any thing to do internally...
Old 07-04-2006, 06:40 PM

that's gonna be my next endeavour, i checked the ecm for any codes tonight and got nothing. and to top it all off, my gtp broke down on me today, stupid *** american cars.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 PM

Try your fuel filter, sounds exactly what was happening to mine, even replaced what I thought was a dead injector to no avail, swapped the fuel filter and it cleared all the problems, The previous owner let the car sit for a while and I think when the fuel got low all the gunk in the tank clogged the fuel filter
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM

Ok, I replaced the fuel filter today just for the hell of it, no difference. I took the mani off today after lookin at the spark plugs and seeing that 1,3,4 were black, 2 which is the only cylinder not firing it seems was not black, but it was a little wet. I *think* it's gas, smelled like it, but it was the texture of oil. Well, as soon as I lifted the manifold all I could smell was gas. Took all the plugs out and on cylinder 2,3 there was fluid which I am guessing is gas sitting on top of them. 1 and 4 are dry it appears. I cant visibly see anything wrong on the top end to cause that. I don't think it's a laeky injector, but who the hell knows at this point? A mechanic? maybe lol. but I refuse to take it to the shop and have them charge me hundreds of dollars. Help!!!