NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

air comin out of the oil cap????? help

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM

air comin out of the oil cap????? help

ok i just got the car running and back together after putting a new head on and gaskets

car starts up fine and runs great, butt when i pulled the oil cap, i feel air comin out of it and it smells like exhaust(almost)

did i do somthing wrong here.
also on my way home the temp sky rocket to the top so i pulled over and check under ther hood and didnt see any water at all, when i got back in the car to turn to key to see where it was it was at 1/4 way up, in less then 2 mins??? got the car home since i was just around the block and i hear a hissing noise comin from the rad cap so i replaced it with another one i had layin around, filled it up again and bleed the system again. could that have been the cuase of my temp getting hot??

i need to figure this out tonight so i can fix it monday since im off from work and it my only car i have

help a brother out here
im goin nuts here i kno its not suppose to do this
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 PM

that air coming from your oil cap is more than likely blow by from your rings... how many miles are on the engine?? and your hot temp is either low coolant, blocked radiator, air pocket in the cooling system, or a stuck closed thermostat... whenever you see your temp gauge start to rise then turn on your heater to full blast and either pull over or go faster to get more airflow thru the radiator... its all pretty easy stuff so don't sweat it too bad... hope this helps...
Eric
Old 01-08-2008, 09:12 PM

thermostat issue
stuck open would yeild your car being completly cold (well on the gauge cluster temp gauge) and never get to normal..

stuck closed would yeild overheating, and could be contributing to your issue.