NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Cam Differences

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Cam Differences

Hey guys i'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 95 ka. i have a set of s13 cams and s14 cams. i know the s13 cams are the oem upgrade from the s14 cams. My question is how can i tell the different sets apart? and how can i tell which cam is the intake cam and which is the exhaust?? i know the cams have green and orange paint on them i believe but i can't remember which one is which because it has been to long since i removed them from the cylinder head... okay one last question.... i want everyones opinion on which cam combo gave them the best power/torque according to the old butt dyno.? and if anyone has dyno results from the different cams that would be great tooo... but i doubt anyone does...
Thanks for looking guys

Eric
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM

no one knows ?????????????????????

Eric
Old 12-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

I dont know the answer to your question of telling them apart, but there are answers to your questions about which cams are best in this thread. And Big Vinnie knows what he's talking about.
https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/sho...electing+n%2Fa
Old 12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SmokedZenki
no one knows ?????????????????????

Eric
it's a dohc sorry.

vinnie knows if the thread ry linked doesn't clear it up pm vinnie he might help. he's kinda moody some times.

no offense vinnie just warring the guy.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!

vinnie knows if the thread ry linked doesn't clear it up pm vinnie he might help. he's kinda moody some times.

no offense vinnie just warring the guy.
Thats O.K it came from you Ramos!!! Besides it's Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
Thats O.K it came from you Ramos!!! Besides it's Christmas!!
it was a joke.

hey vinnie i have something i need to ask you about the tri flow cams. i got to measuring the lobes on my stock cam and the tri flow cam and the stock is roughly 1mm bigger. idk if the tri flow design is meant to be like that or what so i emailed colt cams about it today.

i was wondering if you have the pdm cams already and if, so if you've bothered measuring the lobes?

btw marry Christmas everyone.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:59 PM

it was a joke.

hey vinnie i have something i need to ask you about the tri flow cams. i got to measuring the lobes on my stock cam and the tri flow cam and the stock is roughly 1mm bigger. idk if the tri flow design is meant to be like that or what so i emailed colt cams about it today.

i was wondering if you have the pdm cams already and if, so if you've bothered measuring the lobes?

btw marry Christmas everyone.
I won't have the tri flow until the end of January.
Did you read the statement by PDM on TRI-FLOW design? It's suppose to be less lobie with a much higher peak allow for the longer duration, I guess it makes the cam more effecient between valve overlap, the lift is much higher than stock.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

i think i'm on to something here vinnie.

when i first told you about the tri flow cam you asked for the specs but i couldn't give them to you because i was never given that information. after reading and re-reading the idea behind the tri flow cam on the colt cams site it dawned on me. no where is lift and duration mentioned, but rather the sequential opening of valves.

the way i read it, one valve opens slightly before the other causing a swirl while increasing the velocity at which air enters the cylinders. that's why the lobes are smaller and not bigger, more lift would allow grater volume of air in the cylinders but you'd lose the velocity. the cam is designed to do what the secondary butterflys do at low rpm but with the cam the affect is not limited to low rpms. or so it seems to me.

if i am correct in my conclusion i think this is brilliant.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:18 AM

the way i read it, one valve opens slightly before the other causing a swirl while increasing the velocity at which air enters the cylinders. that's why the lobes are smaller and not bigger, more lift would allow grater volume of air in the cylinders but you'd lose the velocity. the cam is designed to do what the secondary butterflys do at low rpm but with the cam the affect is not limited to low rpms. or so it seems to me.

if i am correct in my conclusion i think this is brilliant.

You are pretty much right. Have you seen the lift on JWT cams though? JWT has more lift than the PDM/Colt, and brian crower cams..
Old 12-26-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
You are pretty much right. Have you seen the lift on JWT cams though? JWT has more lift than the PDM/Colt, and brian crower cams..
but those are the dohc cams right? i was unaware that either jwt or bc made cams for the sohc ka. other than colt cams i've only seen hybrid ka offer a sohc cam. the specs of the hybrid ka cam is close to the non tri flow stage 1 pdm offers but costs about $100 less. the catch is that the hybrid ka cam requires the cam towers to be machined or solid lifters. i've been meaning to try my luck at making some solid lifters but that's another story.

i should also add that pdm offers 3 tri flow profiles and 4 non tri flow fore the sohc, but only 2 non tri flow for the dohc but idk how many tri flow profiles are offered for the dohc engines. i should also note that my tri flow cam is a stage 1 and perhapses that's why the lobes are smaller than i expected. stage 2 & 3 sohc cams require the towers to be machined or solid lifters. stage 3 however requires the ecu to be tuned and new valve springs and the such.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 PM

but those are the dohc cams right? i was unaware that either jwt or bc made cams for the sohc ka.
JWT has made sohc cams way before any manufacturer. You can see it under there truck/240sx cam.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 12-26-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 PM

any info for my questions?

Eric
Old 01-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by SmokedZenki
any info for my questions?

Eric
What tools do you have to measure with. Because if you don't your better off paying a machine shop 20Bucks to tell the differences.
Secondly the 2 higher lift cams are OBD1. Green is intake and the red/orange is your exhaust.
A easy way to measure the lift of a cam is to subtract the measurement of the base circle (B) from the measurement of the lobe height (A) using a set of vernier or dial calipers.
(Line A)
minus (Line B)
Cam Lift = A-B

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-02-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:38 PM

awesome vinnie thanks man and oh yeah i have calipers