NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

car is smoking a lil wat could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 12:55 AM

Unhappy car is smoking a lil wat could it be? + 1st piston not firing!!!

smokes when i get it going from a start. sometimes alot sometimes a lil. i used a no smoke thing that goes in the oil which helped a lil bit (or maybe i just thought it did). took out the spark plugs to see something. they look kinda white (wat does that mean? lean?). the last 2 (closer to firewall) had a lil bit of oil on the threads. my friend said that the spark plug gaskets are going and that oil is going down through the threads into cylinders. my valve cover gasket has been leaking a lil bit but i've been lazy to change it, i guess its time. another friend of mine didnt even look at anything and saw the smoke and said that its the valve stem seals. now im hoping its not that cuz thats more costly but wat do u guys think?

another problem with my engine is that i wuz driving home and suddenly my engine started to shake really bad. sum friends met up wit me at a gas station and while the engine was running we took out the spark plug wire for the first plug and nothing happend. then we did that to the others and the engine bogged. when i took out the first wire for the first plug and put it close to the valve cover i can see it still was sparking. so wat can be causing that first cylinder (one furthest from the firewall) to not be working? is that cylinder dying on me?

any help would be appreciated. i dont have money for a new engine right now so i gotta fix this one. plz help guys.

Last edited by WILDACEXXX; 06-16-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:14 AM

Check all your spark plugs ( including gap ) to make sure that they are not worn to ****, then check spark on all of the cyls ( to make sure that they are all getting spark )

As for the other stuff, Get a compression Test done on the Cyl's to see if they are still in good condition ( to make sure you dont have a dead cyl )

But as for the oil thing, the only thing's that i can suggest there is eather run a little heavyer of a oil, or Rebuild the motor. that or just live with it.

anyway, thats just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:34 AM

i changed my oil last week and didnt notice any coolant in the oil. i told this to my friend and hes insist that its the valve cover and spark plug gaskets. i'll change that and i guess run heavier oil. thanx for ur help. any other suggestions?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 PM

ok now im not worried about the smoke problem. wat really bothers me is that now everytime i start the car i have to *** around with the ignition (ie. spark plug wires, plug that goes to cap and rotor, distributor) to get that 1st cylinder (furthest from firewall) to fire. we checked the timing to be sure and it wuz good at 20. i changed my plugs today just in case as well. my friend looked at the wires that are on the plug that connects to the rotor and cap (hope u guys know wat im talking about) and he said that maybe they are breaking away from the plug because of all the heat. i dunno this this is killing me. im gonna get another plug and maybe splice it in in place of the one i have now maybe that will work. should i change the distributor too? will i have to reset timing if i change distributor? WAT SHOULD I DO *cries*
Old 06-16-2004, 11:43 AM

bump