NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Custom Exhaust Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Question Custom Exhaust Question...

Hello all, i have a question for all the exhaust guru's.
My girlfriend's stepdad (works in a machine shop) has offered to make me a custom cat-back exhaust.

I am looking at a magnaflow Mirror Finish Stainless Steel Street Series muffler, specifically the #14846 2.25" inlet, 6" diam. muffler, 4" diam. tip, 1" tip length, 14" length muffler body.

First, since it will be a cat-back system, do i need to have flanges custom made, or can i cut the cat flanges and just have the new pipe welded on? also, will the stock exhaust hanger locations work? I want the pipe to pretty much go straight back with as little bends as possible. So does this mean that i have to custom make hangers? also, the 240's exhaust, to my knowledge, is 2" in diameter, and this muffler has a 2.25" inlet...which means that i need a 2.25" pipe, correct? What is the best way to up-size the pipe diameter? if i need custom flanges, would it be smart to just make the flange holes 2.25" instead of the stock 2", assuming that the stock pipe is 2". Would i just be better off welding the 2.25" pipe directly on the catylitic converter and cutting the flange?

obviously, i'm getting rid of the resonator, so cut it from the equation.

what are my options? should i get a new cat? what should i do? HELP!!!!!

thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 05:14 PM

I am putting a new resonator in mine when I do it, I like to hear my engine over my exhaust. If you can make it all one length eg 2.25" All the way to the inlet off the muffler i think that would be best, then u don't have to screw around with fitting to up the size and all that fun stuff. as for the hangers, you may need to do some slight mods, nothing to difficult i wouldn't imagine. Oh, and my cat will be gone, I don't have any form of aircare where I am.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Contributing Member

you might want to up it to about 2.5"... but nevertheless, if you're replacing a part, make it all the same. That means 2.25" piping (mandrel bent, of course!), 2.25" flanges, and get a 2.25" aftermarket cat if you can afford it. This way if you decide to go with aftermarket headers, you'll have at least 2.25" all the way through fo rthe engine to breathe out all that exhaust.

As for hangers, you don't have to go perfectly straight with the piping... you could have slight, low-angle bends (slight as in 30 degrees or less) in order to position the muffler out the back where you want it. If you position the muffler in the vicinity of the OEM muffler, you can probably have hangers welded to match up with the stock mounting points.