NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

custom intake piping

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 10:44 PM

custom intake piping

i searched for cold air intake and it seemed like relocating the intake was the best way to get some power if any... and you guy talked about relocating the battery... say i wanna keep my battery where it is and just relocate the intake else where to get more flow... lets say i wanna do it somewhere at teh bottom ... would this be possible or not... and i m sure its possible but would it be a good idea or would the filter get dirty way too fast or would the engine be breathing "nasty" air or what would happen?
Old 05-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Banned

you don't have to relocate the intake. Some people do because it gives a shorter intake pipe. You could easily get one of those cold air extensions(Injen, etc...) and it goes in the stock location. The main restriction is the MAF and you need that no matter what.
Anyways if you don't have the mechanical fan I guess you could just turn the piping and stick it down in between the radiator and the belts. Just make sure it is secure and the pipes not gonna hit anything while driving. All CAI's get dirty faster, and watch out for water. good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:43 AM

I'm not all the way sure what you mean, but from what i can see from the title you want to make a custom intake, well i saw a video once of a guy who customized his short ram using that gardening piping and made it into cold-air. I dont know how much air flow it got but it seemed to work maybe you could try that, because using that piping you can make the pipe go any direction you want.

-Tom
Old 05-21-2004, 01:46 AM

Anyways if you don't have the mechanical fan I guess you could just turn the piping and stick it down in between the radiator and the belts.

This would definately NOT be cold air. Relocating the battery wouldn't be all that hard why you wouldn't is beyond me. On the S13's there is also a nice hole in the inner fender that brings in cool air right there as well. That would be my sugestion if you want cold air. Mounting is lower beneath the battery would be tough and the piping to do would probably be more restrictive than stock. Not sure if that was what you were going for but it kind of sounded like it. I had on mounted low on a Daytona once and all it did was bring me headache picking up road debris and water whenever it rained, same on a few friends cars once. Anywho, I'd move the battery, just my .02.