NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Custom Intake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

Custom Intake Problems

OK, I have the battery in the trunk. I am trying to run a custom intake to where the battery used to be, but every time I do, the car has a horrendous idle and stalls out. I spent all day yesterday checking wires and connections to make sure it was all ok. It was. The thing I think is the problem is that AIV pipe or whatever (the one coming from the right hand side of the TB to the back of the intake manifold). I have it connected to the intake where it should be but still the rough idle/stall. (I think that's the problem because it does the same thing if you disconnect that pipe). When I run the stock intake pipe again it works fine. And yes I made sure that all connections were tight (3 rolls of electrical tape later trying to see if tightness was a problem). Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 AM

i had the exact same problem for a while that both those hoses coming off rely on ram air sort of thing if you notice how they came out of the stock pipe at the elbow there, and since you dont have that anymore when you installed the custom intake it doesnt get enough air
i ended up just cutting the lil elbow with the holes coming out of it from the rest of the tube and then adding my custom intake to that

sorry i ran out of ideas trying to figgure it out

Last edited by gubermyster; 02-07-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

I've had it positioned in the new pipe so that it was getting air forced into it and it still did it. I just found something bad out tho...I have very little (as in not showing up on the dipstick) oil in the car for some reason (I am looking into that asap)...and the car is idleing bad now anyways. Maybe it's due to that so I'll see.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Ok oil's changed, I put a new vacuum hose on that iac valve thing and everything's back to stock. Thing is, it's still stalling out at idle (after a litle it will hold for about a minute then die), and it has massive lag on accel. It sputters sometimes during accel also, and my gas mileage is now non existant. I'm thinking maybe the MAF went bad? I don't understand how it would just die all of a sudden though? It was working and we relocated it and it didn't work, put it back and it's still not working right. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I got it fixed. I just did everything over again and it worked for some reason. That's the second time my car's done that. First was radio...put it in, no go. took it out, put it in. Go. *****y car.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:54 AM

glad its fixed man