NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Banned

Engine issue

I bought my 3rd 240 two weeks ago and recently got it running (bought it while not in running condition). There was 3-4 gallons of gasoline in the oil pan upon getting it home and doing an oil change. so we flushed it with clean oil a few times and replaced all 4 shot injectors and did air filter oil filter fuel filter, injectors, and cleaned the MAF. SHE RUNS GREAT! perfect compression after a final oil change and she passed emission!!! its a great sucess haha anyways my only issue now is, as i drive to and fro, i stomp the gas in any gear and theres hesitation, not full power. at 1/4 throttle it feels so strong but its such a dissappointment after that, i know theres more to it, and i feel its computer related becasue the motor is running great! could it be the Throttle Position Sensor? which i briefly checked with a volt meter and it checked out or any other comon thing i might not have thought of? O and last comment to make the suggestions more direct, when i first start it up and drive and get it to opp temp, if i stomp it then in say first or second, it climbs the whole rpm range perfect, but it will only do it once or twice and then the hesitation comes back and starts feeling funny after...
Any comments could help alot!
Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM

how long have you been driving it? what year is it? you could try clearing the memory on the ecu. the good/bad point of the ecu is it get a memory to "save gas & emissions" if the injectors were leaking and it was getting more gas than needed and leaing it out now that the injectors are working properly it may still be thinking its too rich. just a thought
Old 09-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Banned

thats a very good point. makes logical sense, i haven't ordered the TPS yet so ill definately try that point first.
How do i go about clearing the ecu, cuz i did do a reset type function a week after driving it (ive been driving it now for about a month) by just unhookin the battery terminals and holding the brake a for a lil bit then restarting it. i could perform that again i suppose. thanks again for the input
Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM

no prob ive always just unhooked the battery for a few hours and it has seemed to do the trick. also make sure the throttle cable is tight the further down you push on the peadle the more tension on the return spring and if its not tight enough it could be slipping. hope this helps
Old 09-13-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

Unhappy

Well i left the battery unhooked while i did another oil change yesterday, the throttle cable seems to work fine and is tight. this morning it was very chilly and it ran strong for about 12-15 mins, then the hesitation started to come back as i neared work. this thing drives so nice and strong as far as stock power when its just been warmed up, so dissappointing
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 AM

ok sounds like the temp sensor to me i could be wrong you might also have a leak in the intake gasket or the big rubber intake hose try taking a can of starting fluid once its hot and spray it along the intake and the hose and see if it raises the rpms if so theres yuor problem if not check the temp sensor it could be not working correctly.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Banned

Smile

i will definately try that... I was not aware the dual cam had temp sensor for the air intake?... i'm probably wrong. where is it located?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 PM

im actually talking about the coolant temp sensor i dont believe there is one for the intake but ill check on that.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Banned

OK sounds good ill look up the position of that sensor in the book and check it out.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

man i still can't find the temp sensor for the coolant. i must have looked through the book a few ... mins but still... anyone know where to find this sensor? near the thermostat?