NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Engine problems/ questions

Old 04-13-2003, 08:43 PM

Engine problems/ questions

Today we decided to tinker with the $150 240. We pulled off the valve cover and various other things. We flushed the radiator and basically gave the car a mild tune-up. The timing chain looks pretty new and unharmed. But when we tried to start it, there was this black liquid sludge stuff that came trickling out of the exhaust pipe. Does anybody have any suggestions on what that could be?....BTW the car never started, even though it sounded like it really wanted to. I think we will be tearing the engine completely down and cleaning it eventually. How hard is it to reset the timing and stuff. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:54 PM

Sounds like something mine did sometime back. Here is what to do.

Stop at a local wall-wart or parts store and pick up some carb/intake clearner spraw ($.99 to $3.50).

Step One. - Take of the intake rinse out the plastic tube with some water, and let dry. While letting it dry spray some of the cleaner on the butterfly valve. Let dry.

Step Two. - Clean out the vac line that goes from the valve cover to the intake manafold. (on mine oil had pulled into this line and was all in the intake manafold.

Step Three. - Hold open the butterfly valve and get what you can with a towl or some or of brush.

-Hook all intake parts up after there all dry. (they need to be all DRY!)-

Now snake the little red straw into the into the intake line closest to the butterfly valve, Try and start car and fallow the rest of the directions on the carb cleaner can.

This did wonders for me, and was a very cheap and easy fix.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:37 PM

:UPDATE:

:UPDATE:

well we have pulled off the throttle body, and intake manifold. the throttle body was almost black inside and there was gunk everywhere......and the intake manifold had a sludge liquid in the bottom of the bend. Today I cleaned everything up and made it look as new as possible.. Sometime in the next couple of weeks we will be pulling off the head and replacing that gasket. Does anybody have any pointers for me when we pull off the head. Is there a way to mark the cam gear with the timing chain, so it can be put back one without messing with the timing. Thanks for your help.