NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

engine's overheating. PLEASE! help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 12:21 AM

Exclamation engine's overheating. PLEASE! help.

My story's quite simple, i got a 240 not knowing anything about it, a year later I'm drifting around corners trying to impress the ladies. anyhow. my s13 is heating up on me. it's been heating up on me for the past year. i know what you guys are gonna say. "cooling problem" Nope. the entire cooling system has been redone. Radiator, water pump, thermostat, fan, everything. I bealieve the head's blown, in fact im sure it's that. But if you guys can think of any other reason why the car might heat up. Please, share it with me. I'm building a naturally aspirated 240 for the time being, but won't begin to do so until i get that frigging problem fixed. can you guys help me?
Old 01-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Did you 'burp' the system? There's a small bleeder screw by the thermostat housing that you're supposed to open to let air out.

Also, what radiator did you use to replace the stock unit? I had a problem for a long time. I'd smell coolant, but would never find any leaks- ever now and then it would be down a lottle coolant. The problem was a crack in the top radiator tank. It would only leak when hot and under pressure, eventually it went bigtime and it was easy to see where the coolant smell had been coming from for a long time.

-Justin
Old 01-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

if your head's blown, and you're burning coolant, your exhaust will be white, and you will probly be leaking/burning oil too
Old 01-26-2003, 09:35 PM

Exclamation i got a metallic radiator, over a year ago now.

Originally posted by Justin.b
Did you 'burp' the system? There's a small bleeder screw by the thermostat housing that you're supposed to open to let air out.

Also, what radiator did you use to replace the stock unit? I had a problem for a long time. I'd smell coolant, but would never find any leaks- ever now and then it would be down a lottle coolant. The problem was a crack in the top radiator tank. It would only leak when hot and under pressure, eventually it went bigtime and it was easy to see where the coolant smell had been coming from for a long time.

-Justin
do you think it could be the radiator? i used to smell coolant like crazy, not anymore cuz i got rid of the coolant resevoir tank, so all excess coolant runs from the top of the radiator down a small hose, and straight out the car near the right front tire. when the resevoir was there and the car heated up, coolant would spill out, drain all over the engine and around the batt which sucked. what's the best radiator for the 240? and how should i check to see if it's the radiator thats bad? i'm not blowing white smoke, but i am sometimes blowing blue smoke. sometimes. the engine feels fine, put after running it for too long, like 30min straight at low speeds, or after 15min of racing, the car heats up nasty.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:25 PM

Check for bubbles underneath your oil cap. There is a good chance you have a blown Head gasket. Also look for oil in your coolant. Check to see if your thermostat gets stuck theres some ways to test it.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

inspect all the coolant hoses.
i had a kinked hose and my car would overheat if i left it idle for a long time