NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Car overheating and dying, help please! !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Car overheating and dying, help please! !

I was having some problems with my car overheating read here: http://www.club240.com/forums/showth...threadid=37128

Well I changed the temp sensor, made sure the coolant was full, made sure there were no air bubbles in the cooling system, and my car was still overheating (well it would get to hot for my comfort, I never actually let it overheat).

I took it to my mechanic, who suggested that I try to change the thermostat on the engine. Either that or the radiator was going. I figured the thermostat was cheaper so I tried that first. After it was changed I got my car home with no problems.

The next day when I get in my car to leave for work, I got about two blocks from my house, and the car stalled on me in between gears, it literarily died mid shift. Before it died it did nothing weird, just up and died on me, wasn't even running rough.

The car was not warm yet, and it took me a couple of tries to get it going. It would start up and stall out, start up and stall out. Finally I got it going by giving it a little gas as soon as it started. I drove maybe 5 more miles or so to work, it was ok all the way there. I expected it to die on me again but it didn't. At the light before where I work, I noticed the engine heat creeping up again. I rushed to the parking where I worked and managed to shut the car off, before it got too hot.

I know now, that I probably need to change the radiator (if anybody thinks it could be something else let me know), but my question is why did my car die two blocks from my house? Could it have gotten too hot from before and maybe something else got screwed up? If the engine could be ****ed maybe I shouldn’t bother with a radiator right now. What should I be looking at?

EDIT: I should have mentioned I have a 95 240sx, running premium fuel, 150k miles.

Last edited by MasterOSkillio; 03-02-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM
Contributing Member

um...possible headgasket, any smoke? milky coolant or oil?
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by motegineon
um...possible headgasket, any smoke? milky coolant or oil?
No smoke thankfully, and the oil was changed the day before this happened, it seemed fine. I will have to check again to make sure, is there anything else in the meantime? Would changing the thermostat and screwing something up, cause something like that to happen?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:54 AM

changing the the thermostat shouldn't cause any problems unless u did it wrong or something got in it... and should possibly check for a blown headgasket... by running ur car on and take the radiator cap off and see if the water bubbles up if so ur headgasket's blown...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:11 AM

I eneded up needing a new radiator, once replaced, and properly bled, the problem stopped. I was really afraid that when the old radiator came off it would be full of oil sludge, and my engine would be ****ed. Thankfully no oil in the water, Because right now I don't have the money for a rebuild. It has been running without overheating for a week, so I am sure I got the problem.

Thanks for the help guys ! !