NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Getting rid of the EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 08:45 PM

Getting rid of the EGR?

Ok, I just posted that I pulled out the motor and thought about removing the EgR. But I just searched a bunch and now i'm under the impression that it might be a pain in the butt to make everything work right.

So... I have to buy a fuel computer too if I want to pull off the egr and charcoal canister? would the SAFC work. I didnt see anything about it. Sorry if I'm redundant.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:07 PM

From what i understand it can be a pain the nads, honestly the easiest thing to do is to maintain the egr and keep it clean, that'll minimize parasitic loss and help keep your motor runnin like a champ with hardly any work at all on your part. And it'll reduce the pain you feel in the nads.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:25 PM

wtf are u guys talking about getting rid of egr hasnothing to do with fuel wtf keep egr and keep it clean??? parasidic loss?? dude do u even know what that is if u want to remove egr ither u remove everything or just unplug the tube from the manifold cap the manifold and cap the tube. that is it if u want to be lazy
Old 04-02-2006, 07:09 PM

you can actually like cut it on the exhaust side near the tip (not on the thread tho) ... pull it off and hammer out the slider sleeve part ... stick a nickel in there .... and you have a poor man's solution. it works, i have several friends who have done it, including myself ... no problems after 30k miles ... don't see any ever occuring. call me an idiot or a genius, my friend told me about this and it works ... so just a thought.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:46 PM

chiroke, chill for a second. When I said loss I was referring to when the egr get's full of sh** and causes power loss, I told brokens13 to keep it and just clean it because he may fail emmissions testing wherever he lives, thus making it a pain in the nads and not worth it. Also because if it's maintained you really don't have to take it out. It may be easy to do on a KA, but on my car the egr is wired in to the ecu, removing it creates so many problems it's just not worth it.
Lastly, I never pretend to know everything, I just say what I know, I gave the advice I did because in most cases removing the egr isn't worth the trouble. If anyone on here needs to correct me, do it, I always appreciate being informed of accurate information, that's why I visit this board, I want to learn all i can about these cars before I start my project. But if you're going to correct me, just do it, and be constructive, that means simply saying I'm wrong and correcting me, that's it. It wouldn't be the first time someone on here has corrected me and I've always thanked the person that did it.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 AM

I have a friend with a b13 sentra. He has his stuff pulled. I through away my stock downpipe on the KA and with it... the EGR fitting. I was intending on getting rid of it. I'd like to keep a cat on the exhaust through somewhere. not sure how that's going to work. I'd like to have a wideband o2 put in so i can tell what my afr is.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM

if u are planing of boosting the car u have to get rid of it regardless and egr cause powerloss regardless of it beign clean or not hot air going back into a motor is bad
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM

nah, i dont really have any intentions of boosting it. Just rebuilding it and making it look good.