NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Intake Manifold Butterfly...any problems if removed...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 PM

Intake Manifold Butterfly...any problems if removed...?

Inside the intake (where it bolts to the head) There are butterfly type flaps that close during deceleration...I guess it helps prevent too much vaccum on the piston rings...anyway I had heard these can be removed & gain horse power.....

Is this true....has anyone done this & does it cause any problems ??

Thanks for your time !! Scot
Old 06-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

JUST GO TO A JUNK YARD AND BUY 1994 TOP INTAKE ITS EASYER THAN REMOVING THEM. IF IT IS COLD WHERE YOU LIVE ALL THE TIME DONT DO IT BUT IF ITS WARM THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS.
SORRY ABOUT THE UPPER CASE BUT MY CAPS BUTTON IS STUCK.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:50 PM

Re: Intake Manifold Butterfly...any problems if removed...?

Originally posted by ToRu
Inside the intake (where it bolts to the head) There are butterfly type flaps that close during deceleration...I guess it helps prevent too much vaccum on the piston rings...anyway I had heard these can be removed & gain horse power.....

Is this true....has anyone done this & does it cause any problems ??

Thanks for your time !! Scot
It may cause a slight bog at idle that is about it. As far as smog is concerned HC levels run a little higher, (one of the reasons why the butterfly's were installed onto OBD1).
You can use an SAFC to lean out at lower throttle I wouldn't recomend anything too excessive (just minimal within -2% and you should use a wide band O2 sensor to fine tune it.
lot more HP can be gained at higher RPM's and with some fine tuning of an SAFC at lower RPM's you can make great power throughout the entire range. I highly recomend it.
It doesn't throw codes as it is vacuum accuated, just disconect the vacuum line when disassembly the butterfly's, or when using a 95-98 mani.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

what about removing the butterfly flap inside the throttle body?!?! can yo do that, has anyone tried it??
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

umm, that actually controls your revs dude. its actuated by your gas pedal directly. if you removed that, itd be like wot at all times
Old 07-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

LMAO!! ohh lol ok well now i no not to do it=)
Old 07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

lmfao...burnout city all the time
Old 07-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by re037
umm, that actually controls your revs dude. its actuated by your gas pedal directly. if you removed that, itd be like wot at all times
Your full of shiat, and you have never done it. I've done it myself using a 95 manifold, just makes my idle drop barely. Makes alot more power when using an SAFC.
So what do you expect to tell guys that swap OBD2 KA engines with an OBD 1 ecu??? They don't use butterfly's jerk off...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by BigVinnie
Your full of shiat, and you have never done it. I've done it myself using a 95 manifold, just makes my idle drop barely. Makes alot more power when using an SAFC.
So what do you expect to tell guys that swap OBD2 KA engines with an OBD 1 ecu??? They don't use butterfly's jerk off...
Are you talking about the same thing? The butterfly that is controlled by the accelerator cable in the throttle body, not the secondary butterflies in the manifold.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

cool, im a jerk! and im full of ****, thats so awesome but besides that im not sure we're talking about the same thing either, i think zenkislider is talking about the t/b flap:

so unless that some how does work with the ecu reading off the tps sensor with no flap and the o2 sensor correcting fuel for the high volume of air coming in with out revving up, its news to me...
Old 07-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by re037
cool, im a jerk! and im full of ****, thats so awesome but besides that im not sure we're talking about the same thing either, i think zenkislider is talking about the t/b flap:

so unless that some how does work with the ecu reading off the tps sensor with no flap and the o2 sensor correcting fuel for the high volume of air coming in with out revving up, its news to me...

My bad I'm the jerk. 4th of july drinken I apoligize. Why would someone even think of removing the Butterfly to the TB? I thought the discussion was about scv's, my bad....
Anyways if you remove the butterfly to the TB serious problems in backfire and uncontrolled acceleration. It would be pointless to remove.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:46 PM

I posted a Q about the butterflys on my intake & one replywas to use a SAFC at no more than -2% & using a wideband O2 sensor....

If you can bare with me ...as I am very new to Nissans...so I am just about clueless....

What is a SAFC & where do I get one....also where do I get a wideband O2 Sensor...

Also...can or should I eliminate the tube that goes from the exhaust mani back into the intake mani....unsure why this is in use etc....

& one last request...is there anything else I can do to get HP from my ka24e....besides cold air intake....I am fully rebuilding this motor...with stock parts (tight budget)...so any other advice would be a blessing.

Living in Indiana we don't get E-Checked etc....so emissions control isn't as vital here.

I Thank You in advance !!! Take Care Scot

* if you want feel free to email me direct at lullaby@insightbb.com
Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

no need to apologize man! its understandable, ive made an *** of my self plenty of times, trust me haha.

as for toro, the safc is a electronic device offered by apex-i that allows you to adjust the ecu's fuel mapping. i think thye just releases a new version, 'safc neo.' as for wideband o2, many different manufacturers off those. the tube going back to the intake along the backside is your egr, thats for emissions purposes. ppl have plugged them up but im not sure myself and how it doesnt throw any codes. the tube going to the air box in the front is to help warm up the catylic convertor. if youre rebuilding with stock parts it might be worth the while to get some cams in while the head is apart. or do a ghetto port on the head
Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by ToRu

What is a SAFC & where do I get one....also where do I get a wideband O2 Sensor...

Also...can or should I eliminate the tube that goes from the exhaust mani back into the intake mani....unsure why this is in use etc....
Well you have a KA24e. Although you don't have a knock sensor I'm pretty shure you can use the SAFC, just the knock monitoring won't be a usable function. As long as you have Multi Port Fuel Injection you should be fine. So I guess you can get one.
This is what an SAFC looks like in my car...... Sorry cars a mess, but ehh I don't care....
Name:  SAFC2.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  60.2 KB
Hopefully I made it clear that you can't remove the butterfly from the TB, but you can remove the butterfly's, (SCV's) that are in your intake manifold.
As long as you have a fed issued ecu, (which you probably do) since there are no emissions in your state, you can disconnect and cap off both ends that go to that tube.
You will want to get a wide band o2 to calibrate the SAFC after removal of the SCV's and the egr tube, even without using the SAFC, the engine will begin to make alot of lean power.
You will want to invest into a wideband O2.

You can find wide band O2 sensors and SAFC's on ebay...

Last edited by BigVinnie; 07-05-2006 at 03:59 PM.