NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

KA24DE design Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Umoja
1: Are the bearings "Select fit" ie no standard bearing set, but a series based on the size of the rod journal? Biggamehit sent me this link: http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=303
It seems to come with new bearings for the rods, but if it's a select fit bearing motor, how do they know what ones I need. The prof helping me with my motor said he had a student blow a honda using "standard" bearings in a select fit motor. I know its over kill for the power I want to make but, I know myself well enough to know that I will turn up the boost later on.

2. I've asked around and got no answer but can someone please identify what the hell goes on this D-shaped port on the intake manifold? The previous owner removed so much from this car that I have no clue what all is missing or what goes where......
For your first question, please describe to me what select fit means.

For your second question that D shaped port is for the egr valve.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
For your first question, please describe to me what select fit means.
Ok, here is how "Select Fit Bearings" were explained to me by the Prof at school. He said when I pull apart the motor I will see a marking on each bearing, it will be a letter, number, or color mark. Those marks denote a certian size/thickness of the bearing. Apparently the bearings used on the rods and pssibly the crank journals in Hondas and Toyotas are part of this select fit system. I was told that when the engine is assembled at the factory, before everything is bolted together, the journal sizes are measured as well as the bearing seats. The seperation they find based on these numbers tells the builder what number, letter, or color bearing to use to hold a propper tollerance. I couldnt really find any unique markings on the bearings when I tore down my engine.

Here is why I ask. The professor told me he had a student about a year ago who rebuilt and turbo'd a honda motor. The kid bought american style "Standard Bearings" ie one size fits all but the most screwed up journals. Apparently this made the tollerances too open on one of journals and caused the motor to lose oil pressure and he destroyed the motor while he was driving down to Virginia.

I want to do this build right so I dont have to deal with pulling the engine after this time. Any advice you can offer would be great. Thanks vinnie, you and biggamehit have both been extremely helpful.

BTW what he hell is the PAIR system and is it really necissary?
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 PM

Did that make sense vinnie? Im about $250 short of an all forged rebuild kit and I'd like to have this issue worked out before I buy the kit and start re-building my motor.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Did that make sense vinnie? Im about $250 short of an all forged rebuild kit and I'd like to have this issue worked out before I buy the kit and start re-building my motor.
We typically dont have select fit for most aftermarket parts. You would have to have most parts measured and machined if needed.
You have to follow the FSM for the tolerances that are recomended by Nissan.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
We typically dont have select fit for most aftermarket parts. You would have to have most parts measured and machined if needed.
You have to follow the FSM for the tolerances that are recomended by Nissan.
This is the kit biggamehit reccomended to me: http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=303

So your advice is get the kit and check the tolerances, even though checking tolerances is kinda part of the rebuild job andyway. I just dont want to get this kit and find out on assembly that the bearings dont work and I have to go deal with the damn Nissan dealership here.

BTW do you know if the stock motor is select fit? I couldnt find anything on the stock bearings...
Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 PM

This is the kit biggamehit reccomended to me: http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...roducts_id=303

So your advice is get the kit and check the tolerances, even though checking tolerances is kinda part of the rebuild job andyway. I just dont want to get this kit and find out on assembly that the bearings dont work and I have to go deal with the damn Nissan dealership here.

BTW do you know if the stock motor is select fit? I couldnt find anything on the stock bearings...
The AMS ki is good.I've heard nothing but good reviews about it.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM

AMS kit it is after the engine shop gets me word on the cleaning and first check on measurements.