NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

loud noise coming from engine- FAN??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 05:59 AM

loud noise coming from engine- FAN??

hey all- i've had my 240 6yrs.(5spd) i've replaced just about everthing there is to replace, had the timing chain rattles, replaced that, had the 0 ring prob., then replaced the injectors, fuel pump, took out the stupid airbox, put a K&N in, batt., alt., starter, fan clutch, water pump, clutch, rack & pinion, and last week a new tranny-

i love my 240, i've read alot about the sluggish, bogged down problems, but to be honest, my 240 was always spunky and quick. UNTIL NOW-

Here's the quick story- obviously you get to know all the sounds of your car, well when my fan clutch needed to be replaced it started w/ a sound. a very loud, whooshing sound coming from the engine, it went exactly w/ my throttle, even in neutral i would hit the gas and the sound would be very loud and noticeable then whine down as soon as i let off the gas or put in neutral. i took it to a mech- (who doesnt do much work on imports- dont ask why i took it to him) he said under no un-certain terms its your fan clutch because when the car is off, the fan wouldnt turn.

So i went to autzone, bought a new fan clutch ( i did buy the cheaper one) and replaced it only to find out the noise was still there, meantime i have anti-freeze starting to leak, i thought driving the car w/ a bad fan clutch put pressure on my newer (2 yr) water pump, replaced a hose, then another hose, then put the beads in my radiator, and finally no more anti-freeze leaks. BUT I STILL HAVE THE NOISE- and w/ the noise my 240 is for sure sluggish, it feels drawn out, here's the WEIRD THING, a few times (about 5) i was driving around, and noticed the sound stopped completely, at that point i got on it, and BAM!! all my speed and spunk was right back to normal, that car sounded great again- that only lasted a matter of minutes- and now all the time as soon as i start the car, the noise is there- i took it to another mech- he said it will always make the noise- its my fan not being able to catch up to speed w/ the motor, the only way around it is to convert to an electric fan- HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS w/ fan noise, and/or know a solution- sorry about the length of this- THANKS-
Rick
Old 09-12-2003, 11:28 AM

With the car off the fan should still be able to spin. Inside the fan there is a viscious clutch which controls its speed. As your engine revs higher the fan clutch should slip more to keep the fan speed low.

What happens is over time the clutch starts to die, and when it does basically your fan is turning as fast as the pully turns. This makes the fan turn way to fast and pushes way too much air, nice for cooling but that is robbing A LOT of HP. Yes it is possible for the fan to effect the water pump once it malfunctions at higher RPMs it will be turning way too fast and will vibrate. Its connected to your water pump pulley so where does all that vibration go? Straight into your pump .

Take off your fan & clutch from the pulley (should be 4 nuts, after the fan & clutch are off put the nuts back and tighten otherwise your waterpump pulley will fly off lol). Then take the car around the block for a quick ride, if the bogging is gone it is the mechanical fan.

The fan clutch from autozone most likely doesnt work right. Best thing to do is go to a junk yard and buy a fan and clutch off of a 240sx there. It is very cheap this way. But if you have 350+ bucks burning a hole in your wallet you can get a Nissan OEM brand new one.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:12 AM

hmmmm, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but I hear about a lot of people converting to electric fans with the sr20 swap. Wouldn't doing this on the ka24 be easier than dealing with the fan clutch? And if not, please tell me why!
Old 09-17-2003, 04:12 PM

How much did it cost for you to get the timing chain replaced?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:35 AM

well maybe your manifold has a hole in it...>>> im not sure.

you should check it