Go Back  S-Chassis.com > Technical Discussions > NA Motor
Reload this Page >

na guru's out there...performace valves/springs question

NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

na guru's out there...performace valves/springs question

Old 02-03-2008, 08:58 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kenjimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 43
na guru's out there...performace valves/springs question

this question is really more for bigvinnie since he is one of the na guru's but any input from the S-Chassis memberz r welcomed...

i did some searching and came out with pretty much nothing and my question was really not answered so heres a post...
i live in california and we have a smog issue...
i bought a pair of brian crower v2 cams a few months ago and now decided to go ahead and get the brian crower valves and springs....now my question is does anyone know if the valves and springs will affect my bi-annual smog(in other words will it pass smog?)....i'm talking if i was to take out the v2 cams and put in the stock cams but sill have the valves and springs in.....i know this is pretty much a noob question but i'm a noob wat can i say...


ps...if this question has already been answered i would liket to apologize and can u direct me to the correct place i should be looking at...


thanks in advance S-Chassis memberz...
kenjimatic is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 09:29 AM
  #2  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
BigVinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Walnut Creek
Posts: 2,502
Originally Posted by kenjimatic View Post
this question is really more for bigvinnie since he is one of the na guru's but any input from the S-Chassis memberz r welcomed...

i did some searching and came out with pretty much nothing and my question was really not answered so heres a post...
i live in california and we have a smog issue...
i bought a pair of brian crower v2 cams a few months ago and now decided to go ahead and get the brian crower valves and springs....now my question is does anyone know if the valves and springs will affect my bi-annual smog(in other words will it pass smog?)....i'm talking if i was to take out the v2 cams and put in the stock cams but sill have the valves and springs in.....i know this is pretty much a noob question but i'm a noob wat can i say...


ps...if this question has already been answered i would liket to apologize and can u direct me to the correct place i should be looking at...


thanks in advance S-Chassis memberz...

Lift and duration of cams affect smog. So do valve train assembly that use adjustable valve lash (SOHC KA's using solid lifters).
Other than that if you install the valve and springs wrong that would be the only other way to not pass smog.
BigVinnie is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 09:33 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kenjimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 43
i knew i can rely on u bigvinnie...thanks alot...

now time to place an order for the valve/spring kit....
kenjimatic is offline  
Old 02-03-2008, 09:12 PM
  #4  
Contributing Member
 
240-kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kaimuki, Hawai'i
Posts: 643
Sorry to thread jack but Would I pass Smog w/ Either of these cam set-ups?

Crower:
256/256 @ 9.2mm

Crower/BC (Both same specs):
264/264 @ 9.5mm
240-kid is offline  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:43 AM
  #5  
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Panama
Posts: 503
Are the valve springs stock pressures? Will the Stock cams be able to open the valves? Sometimes aftermarket springs have higher spring pressures to work with high lift cams & to prevent valve float. So the stock cams may not be able to work with the aftermarket springs.
Project Cheap13 is offline  
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 AM
  #6  
Contributing Member
 
240-kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Kaimuki, Hawai'i
Posts: 643
Well seat is 73lbs and 1" open is 200lbs which from what I've seen are probably the lowest lbs rating for KA aftermarket Springs.

Supertech's range from 73lbs - 96lbs Seat and 225lbs - 240lbs open

Ferrea's are 80lbs and 195lbs

But I thing the stock cams can open the BC's
240-kid is offline  
Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 16
BC V2's will work with the stock valvetrain, why upgrade? Spend the money on the JWT's though if you have it.
iceman00 is offline  
Old 02-13-2008, 09:24 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kenjimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by iceman00 View Post
BC V2's will work with the stock valvetrain, why upgrade? Spend the money on the JWT's though if you have it.
true but the cams have been upgraded i don't want to put too much pressure on the stock springs in the long run....don't know if the previeous owner mashed the **** out of the engine or not lol...

edit: i jus checked brian crowers are 73lbs seat and 200lb open...will that b okay for stock camz?

Last edited by kenjimatic; 02-13-2008 at 09:35 AM.
kenjimatic is offline  
Old 02-16-2008, 12:20 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by kenjimatic View Post
true but the cams have been upgraded i don't want to put too much pressure on the stock springs in the long run....don't know if the previeous owner mashed the **** out of the engine or not lol...

edit: i jus checked brian crowers are 73lbs seat and 200lb open...will that b okay for stock camz?
What? Leave the springs stock, they are fine. Spend the cash on crowers, or JWT. Stronger springs equal more wear on parts. Trust me.
iceman00 is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
kenjimatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: sacramento
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by iceman00 View Post
What? Leave the springs stock, they are fine. Spend the cash on crowers, or JWT. Stronger springs equal more wear on parts. Trust me.
oic..k..guess its gonna go towards something else..proly port/polish..=)
my planz r i/h/e, cams, proly port/polish and some bigger injectors thats proly it...aiming towards 170-180 whp

i appreciate all the help i've gotten..
kenjimatic is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dak2007
Off-Topic
1
11-29-2005 04:23 PM
fist
NA Motor
12
11-07-2004 11:19 PM
YamaDRFT
General
2
07-14-2004 01:34 PM
89s13drifter
Engine Swaps
1
04-07-2004 06:34 AM
shawneeboy
NA Motor
3
06-04-2003 07:57 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: na guru's out there...performace valves/springs question


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.