NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

New Purchases!!!!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

sweetness.... i know we're not supposed to talk about racing but just two days a go i ran a H22 civic hatch...first run, rolling 20, got him... second run, even steven (caught me in 2nd on the start)... he said his Vtec wasn't kicking in cause of some temp sensor... who knows... he sure felt like a$$ after that... so i know my old motor's still got some life in her yet.... I'd like to get a compression check tho... still pulls hard

also i know no one's talking down, just not too keen my ebay crapola EBAY FTMFW!! haha
Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, we're not too fond of actual engine parts from egay...

Here I am, talking trash about parts copied and produced in China... and Im Chinese...

What am I talking about? I dont like China... All they do now a days is talk trash about how they're building a more powerful military than what we have here... I will give them 5 more years and call them on it then and laugh all the way to the bank when they LOSE. They just copied the designs from the F15 and F16 fighters... so how is it that their sh*t is better than ours???

Ok, that was off topic...

So what are your plans for a replacement motor when the time comes?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

i was thinking a fully built KA...bored, balanced crank, forged rods and high compression pistons, windage tray etc.. i want to get set up to run a reliable 275-325whp on pump gas.... it's my daily driver/weekend worrier so i don't want crazy power.... i may reinforce the block, i hear the cylinder walls are kinda thin. other than that, get some cheap *** eBay intercooler kit...plumbing again ha ha.. and a fairly decent turbo setup, ball bearing, top mount or bottom mount, not sure which... fully tuned with some form of E manage, I'm still inexperienced in the ways of boosting and the adjustablilty of the air/fuel etc... so it'll def be a learning experience for me... but believe me, when i do do it... it wont be cheap o stuff.... I'm going for RELIABLE 300whp.... not overdone throw a rod out the side of the block 500shot of "nosss" on stock internals.... keeping it clean, legal and mean...
Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM

sounds like a good plan. you definitely gotta keep us posted with your progress.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Thats all good, but yeah, KA walls are thin. If you go to Bayarea240sx.com Vince has a post there in the tech section that gives a bit of detail about what can and cant be done.

But I do have to stress, his write ups are based on what he has done and looked deeply into. There maybe things that he hasnt looked into that may or may not work better, but thats the whole purpose of building, we all get to learn from experience LOL

If you want a stupid fast NA, PM BigVinnie. If you're thinking about boost, hit up Biggamehit on the forums here. Both of these guys know a lot about the KA's potentials in both areas and theyre VERY helpful.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

cool deal..... right now while my finances are short and my motor is old, i'll be doing a N/A build.... cheaply.... may even slap on a (don't hate me guys) and ebay turbo kit, at least to blow the motor so i can go ahead and get started on the new one haha.... i've read the numerous threads by BigVinnie, and biggamehit.... very informative
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

NONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!

Those turbos are known to destroy engines! The turbos themselves melt under moderate engine temps, I'd rather see you get like a used T28 from an S14 SR or S15 SR... egay piping I understand, intercooler ok, but please do not buy any of that junk, you may end up having to deal with a new engine purchase sooner than anticipated thanks to that crap made from China turbo.

Heck, just for kicks, pick up a used T3 turbo from a Saab, those T3's have a perfect flow match with the KA...

This I have to urge you NOT to do, no egay turbos LOL

Heck, even a Holset H1C turbo is better LOL Its what Bigg runs in his KA-T, he says its equvalent to a GT30, but way cheaper.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

yeah bro, i know better than that... it'll blow my motor to pieces if not blow it's self to pieces first.... i was reading one of Biggs threads https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/ka-t-78/dont-post-untill-you-read-ka-t-basics-42711/
an I'm gonna use that as a guild line for my build.... nice to know i can run stock internals with the set up I'm looking for save me some mad money.... also about the Saab turbo... saw one on eBay... pretty cheap stuff.....

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand once again i love this site!
Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
i was thinking a fully built KA...bored, balanced crank, forged rods and high compression pistons, windage tray etc.. i want to get set up to run a reliable 275-325whp on pump gas.... ...... and a fairly decent turbo setup, ball bearing, top mount or bottom mount, not sure which... fully tuned with some form of E manage, I'm still inexperienced in the ways of boosting and the adjustablilty of the air/fuel etc... so it'll def be a learning experience for me... .... I'm going for RELIABLE 300whp....
ooohhhh boy...I just read High compression pistons, turbo, e-manage, and reliable in the same sentence...all of those combined=KA-BOOM!!!

you want LOW compression pistons for turbo set-ups, since it's all force-fed anyway. The Greddy E-manage is ok, but will probably also lead to a blown engine due to lack of tuning capability. Sure the fuel mix can be tuned, but you won't be able to retard the ignition timing for when u go into boost.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Contributing Member

For the price, I'd recommend JWT for ECU reflash and 8.6:1 pistons from JE.

8.6 is my sweet number for boosting. Dunno why.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Contributing Member

ditch the platinum 4 plugs

ur MAYBE puttin down 170

if ur plannin on go KAT and your on a tight budget why are you wasting your money on NA stuff right now?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

thanks for the est. motegineon.....

for the high compression pistons, i dunno whats good, also in or around that same sentence i said some like "I'm inexperienced in the ways of boosting"

i'm doing NA stuff right now cause my engine has 256k miles on it and would most likely ever stank up to anything more than .5psi ha ha, so with high mileage engine, i'm doing simple bolt ons, till my neighbor get back at the end of summer and i can buy his 87k mile KA24DE (minus head), he has in his carport.... on the ground.... and use that for my KA-T build..

what should i get instead of the Bosch platinum 4's???

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 07-26-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

you would be a lot better off with just some ngk iridiums

your engine was not designed to be running platinum plugs, id be willin to be theyre hurting you more than benefiting

Last edited by motegineon; 07-26-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

if my engine is designed to be running with platinum plugs, and i have Bosch platinum plugs.... whats the harm?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

sorry, i went back and edited the post, it was mean to read your engine was "not" designed to run them

Search this Thread