NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

New Purchases!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

right there on the core support it says "use only platinum plugs"..... with the nissan stamp....
Old 07-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

ive never heard or seen that, everyone I know or have read about says ngk or denso iridium is the way to go, which is what I use
Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

well thats the main reason i have the platinum 4s, cause even in my owners manual it says to use em, and I've used em in the past with excelent results... now on the NGK and Denso tip, i have been thinking of using those. i saw some shootout on the power block with spark plugs, and some will, according to the dyno, give up to 4hp.... thats not bad... i forget what kind came out on top... some new brand. Anyways, I've never had a problem with Bosch, and if they're good enough for the Germans (VW, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi)... they're good enough for me

when my car gets back from the shop (getting my kit installed) I'll take pics of the core support with that "use only platinum tipped plugs" decal and post em on here for ya.... maybe my car is a rarity.....
Old 07-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

just to add to "new purchases"

i just bought some new turn signal lenses, my passenger side had a rock hole and a gallon of water in it, and i got 3/8 wheel spacers, wont get me so flush, but will help.... especially with the kit i have getting installed... gonna widen it up a bit.... so kudos to that..... oh yeah and i got the spacers and the housings for 40 bucks.... shipped.... i love craigslist...

Also to add.... my ebay crapola came in, my strut tower brace, my test pipe, and my 4-2-1 header... all of surprising quality, especially the strut tower brace....
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM

Nice. Great to hear you got lucky with the ebay stuff.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

yeah i think i did.... time will tell when i install it all..... strut tower is brainless... bt the header is the only concern i had.... but hell my neighbor had his for like three years.... no probs.... so I'll prob wait about a week to install the parts.... unless the paint can stand up to having stuff on it...grease, legs, forearms..etc... hell i just thought of something... jacking my car up with a kist... the side skirts are loooooow.... ruh roh... but spacers and the turn signal housing will go on immediatly.... may even paint the housings in amber clear..... as well as the sides.....
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

post pics
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member

Have fun installing the header bro, I heard its a ***** and a half to get the stock one out and the aftermarket in...

Its like you have to go under the car, unbolt there, crawl back out, unbolt by the exhaust ports, then wiggle that stockie out, then wiggle that bastard up and out of the engine bay! Luckily for all of us (except me) some oem stuff had two pieces... but then you look at the new one and think... how the...???

Good luck, and post pics when its ready to be pimped out to the masses!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

will post pics of the body ASAP!!! gonna be straight SEX... and i've read about the header install and if you unbolt the steering rack thing it makes it an a$$ load easier....

i think i'll do a write up on the header install.... pics and all. cause I've been searching for a decent one and can't find one for the S14, except for a pacesetter one, and i don't think that that was a long tube 4-2-1 header... maybe even make it my first sticky!! woot woot.... I'd do a write up for the test pipe but I'm sure thats already been done, and hell it's a brainless procedure anyways.... i may do a write up on the strut tower brace.... who knows....

i just want to do all the work myself, then maybe explain how I do it, then some noob S14 owner can use my methods to work his car over too.... anyways, off to dremel the flanges on the header...
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

well guys finally got all the parts in, and it's nice, a very noticeable difference especially at the lower end.... frame feels a bit tighter, rides nice!!! the 4-2-1 header pretty much went right in, no unbolting the steering knuckle at all, just turn the wheels to the right a bit.... the test pipe is LOUD, and crackles like a Honda (will be doing something about that ASAP!), and has a exhaust leak where the header meets the test pipe, 2 1/2 header and 3" test pipe... the bolt holes on the header are elongated, so i got my leak through there.... I'll just get a smaller gasket, or make one.... anyways, everything was pretty much simple bolt on, love how it looks and feels.... you can hear me 'fore ya see me!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by motegineon
ive never heard or seen that, everyone I know or have read about says ngk or denso iridium is the way to go, which is what I use
ON 95 and above KA engines platinum plugs are recommended for use since the ignition timing is a bit more aggressive and advanced than the older OBD1 KA ecu tunes.

Now honestly I find the iridium plugs to be the most superior. It's a colder plug so it reduces the plug as being a hotspot in the cylinder chamber. This will reduce knock and ping, spark plug misfire, and increase HP.
Just the life span of the iridium plug is worth it as it will last to 80,000 miles before the next electrical tune up.....
Old 08-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

cool deal..... seems like it may be time to upgrade!!!!

well i got the header in.... went in without a hitch!!! i don't see why some people had so much problem with it all..... all i had to do was cut the steering wheel to the right about a half turn and she slid right in.... no disconnection of the steering knuckle.... anyways, i do have one problem.... the test pipe.. ever since i put that in, my car now sounds like a Honda.... with that cackle dirt bike sound at higher RPMs, and while the RPM's go down.... NOT GOOD.... is it maybe something i did, install wrong or is it the open exhaust? i have a cheap a$$ eBay muffler as well, more like some muffler/resonator, it's a straight through.... it sounded pretty good before i installed the header and test pipe.... I'm thinking i may need a new muffler, something with some baffles in it... anyways, anyone know a way to get ride of the honda sound?

one more thing before i sign off..... on the RPM drop, from say 3500rpm to 750, i get a popping, almost backfire sound... not loud, just a popping. i think running rich may be the problem, but i replaced my O2 sensors, and my ECU is still throwing the "EGR system" code (been throwing that code since i bought it, just can't find a write up on removal and bypass).... it also just recently threw a knock sensor code but i think thats cause my girlfriend ran regular gas with my slightly advanced timing..... any tips on what the popping is??? thanks guys!!!!

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 08-08-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Its the test pipe and the excess free flow in the exhaust. Youre getting what I can only describe as a backfire in the piping, theres nothing in the means of scavaging to pull all the exhaust gases out. So it builds up and everytime you lift off the pedal, "POP"

EDIT: This is the only way I can describe it, Vinnie would be able to explain it better. BTW, looking at your car makes me regret selling the S14... not only am I jealous, but now I officially hate you for making me see the light. Now I shall go into the back yard and kick rocks and eat grass.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

thanks Knismo.... you and vinnie are some of the opinions i truly value on here.... so i kinda figured it was the test pipe... is there anything i can do, besides a pricey free flow cat? also when i removed the down pipe if thats what you call it, the part after the factory header, it seems the cat was there, cause downstream what i thought was the cat, was hollow..... is that normal? the thing up by the header looked more like a cat, had a screen in it that was damn near clogged.... what can i do to help with this scavenging and is it hurting my performance or just an annoying sound?

also, thanks for the comment on my Zenki... it means a lot... i know I'm kinda going the visual route with my car first (at least i have SOME bolt ons), not intentionally, just kinda happening that way.... but i put a lot of money in the exterior to get her looking like she does.... i just hope it inspires other people to do the same.... some people like banged up track *****... i like smooth, clean, and lean.....

tomorrow is a Brake day..... painting OE calipers (no one tell me i need Z32's or Q45's, i already know...), getting the rotors surfaced/turned, ceramic pads up front, and semi metallic pads in the rear... plus all new Valvoline DOT3&4 brake fluid...

thanks again for the help Knismo, and anyone else who cares to chime in!!!!

PS- the "junk" eBay 4-2-1 header (or as everyone tells me) looks sweet and went in smoothly.... lets hop i have as good of results and my neighbor did with his...it's now a nice bronze bluish color.... looks great in there.... will post engine bay pics ASAP!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, the cat is right next to the header, for OBD II its actually apart of the header. The hollow section would be the resonator, it helps reduce overall exhaust noise. The one common thing most over look is that the car is NA. Without the use of larger cams or porting etc. and of course running the car at the track a lot, the 3 inch exhaust system is pretty much over kill. That is if you have a 3 in catback system. Hopefully the high flow 2.5" cat will be enough to prevent what it is that I see commonly.

I've used ATE blue stuff, works wonders and its actually an upgrade for most European cars. I spent 20 bucks a litre.