NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

New Purchases!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i'd hate to get further off topic but i'm curious about the aluminized steal pipe. have you welded any with the welder you bought a while back, if so how did it go?

i tired it but found myself having a difficult time controlling the arc and had a lot of splatter with my welder.
If you run the bead to long with alot of arc (over 90 amps) it will splatter.
You want to run the bead weld at a some what moderate speed( not to slow and not mega fast) at about 75-80 amps ARC and it will do just fine. It's almost like tack welding. If you let the bead weld run to long, it will heat the steel to a temperature to where you start to see bird poo, (splatter), usually caused from the aluminum, and light gauge steel separating from such a high temperature.
Take it nice and slow with a moderate amp range and it will go just fine.

I recently repaired my friends G-reddy exhaust for his honda prelude with aluminized pipe and the weld went quite well, (it was stainless steel to aluminized steel).
Old 08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BigVinnie
If you let the bead weld run to long, it will heat the steel to a temperature to where you start to see bird poo.
it's funny you should say that because that's exactly what i was thinking the first time i welded alumized steel and galvanized. i had to weld some natural steel just to make sure i could form some decent welds.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BlackZenki82
park neutral safety switch, which is weird cause i have manual... makes me think the engine and ECU might be from an automatic...
I can say that you're not the first to get weird codes... My cousin ran codes for a former friend of mine... the code came back to us saying "Cylinder 6 misfire"... How did the KA grow 2 invisible cylinders???

Beyond me.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

weird..... i know......

well guys did i have an experience last night... 13 other cars, not including myself went out for some spirited midnight driving.... i was in third, in front of 2 subaru WRX's, a civic hatch w/h22, and others, only one in front of me was a RX-7 II, and a highly modded STi, not too bad i was hanging with them for about 2/3 of the 3 mile "circuit".... and then the worst happend.... Brake fade.....some SERIOUS brake fade... i was coming around a curve, at around 80mph and it got real sharp, i hit on the brakes and the pedal went all the way to the floor and i was still going, yet was still slowing, not like i had no brakes at all.... pulled the E-brake, drifted it out, but it felt just as squishy as the rest... so i got passed by EVERYONE... came in last at the meet up spot... on the run back, they were just soft as the day is long, and getting softer, worst was the run in... just progressively bad thank god i was stuck behind this 90 notch back 5.0 LX on 10.5".... he was taking it slooooow, i i didn't really have to try and keep up with the AWD's, there was 5 WRX's....

the ??? is.... what the heck happened? I'm thinking i need to bleed the brakes... but driving to work today i had plenty of pressure... still soft, but not like last night... admittedly, i am somewhat of an idiot... i got the right rotor on the left, and the left on the right (will be fixing tonight) but heck.... i still have a braking surface... i wouldn't think it'd matter that much if my "slots" were facing the rear... it'd just put the gasses to the hub, and not outward.... please, i need to get this fixed, it good for DD but not for "spirited" driving.... my vote is i need to bleed them properly.... anyone know about how much brake fluid goes into an S14 from full empty??? I'm using the Valvoline synthetic ABS "exceeds DOT3 & 4" fluid..... i think i may have read somewhere that syth was bad..... could it possible be the pads?? cause my E-brake is cable, and i had it all the way up, no lock.....

EDIT: sorry for posting brake questions in this thread, it's just they are a part of my "new purchases"..

also, apologize for a vague description of my spirited driving, i think i read somewhere that we weren't supposed to post such stuff, but i wanted to give you guys a good view of what was up with my brakes, what they where doing and when....
Old 08-15-2008, 04:15 PM

what kind of pads are you running? if they're not designed to reach such high temps they could have glazed over which is why they still feel ****ty.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

ceramic pads.... Verto brand.... came with the rotors.... who knows... that and i was reading up on brake bleeding.... looks like i may have done it wrong... also like i said i put the X drilled and slotted rotors on the wrong side.... but i don't think that'd make THAT huge of a difference.... i need proper bleeding.... will to tomorrow with my lady (official pedal pusher), and do em right.... let ya guys know if that solves the problem......
Old 08-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

alrighty guys..... here's some pics of the steering wheel and relocated custom cruise control.... as well as a few others thrown in for ****s and giggles.... anyways on with the pics!!!!!!

cross drilled and slotted rotor install

before the wheel......

after the wheel... yeah it's the ebay one.... kiss my a$$ if ya don't like it cause i don't really like it either..... oh, and i don't know why my floormat came out looking like that, it's not brown at all.... my interior is actually pretty clean.... also, i don't have a blue dash, i have the balck int... the flash on the cam made it look that way....

if you look close enough you can read the odometer

custom relocation of the cruise control..... secretly my 3 stage 300 shot of "nosss" hahaha...

figured i'd throw in my dash LED upgrade pics.... see the odometer? i did the LED's about a month and a half ago....

well there you have it.... my review of the ebay wheel? s***.... complete s***, but it looks cool... the reason why it's crap is because in the upper part, to top half that doesn't have a "arm"... it flexes... like if i pushed hard enough i could bend it, so it will remain till i can get a better one... perfect waste of $33 bucks..... and yeah, i know "you get what you pay for" but hell, live and learn.... just for anyone else.. if you're planning on buying one... don't.... even the hub is s***... but the cruise control relocate is awesome... works just like it should and is all stealthy
Old 09-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

well guys, been a while since i posted on here... got to admit i've been rocking the 240sxforums...sorry... anyways, some recent updates, i finnaly got my IACV replaced, my buddy let me have it for ten bucks off his spare block... got some new photos,

and SPACERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better flushness, is what everyone HAS to have right??? sunk wheels FTL or whatever... anyways, on with the pics!!!!

spacers!!!!!!!!!!

my other ride.....

glassback roof

my 4x4...weekend mud fun!!!!

finally got my carport organized.... all this was scattered all over the place!

my car as well as this bada$$ 280...... at the shop getting my alt fixed and spacers on....

some more flushness shots......
RR

RF

LR

FR

here's a shot of those Riken Raptors... they 225/45/ZR18... and hella grippy

well thats the most recent of updates.... oh and i don't know if i already said this but while my car was at the shop i had them run a compression test, i'm 175 on 3cyls, and 180 on 1 of em.....NICE time for turbo.....258k miles too FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

what was the offset on those wheels? my steelies look just about as flush without spacers.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Contributing Member

they were pretty high, +40/+42 but i love the wheels, the white is a PITA to keep clean though, even with ceramic pads... and the tires i recommend to EVERYONE cheap, and full of grip, Z rated at that, 500 for the set, installed...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:35 PM

i want a set of those spacers...where'd you get them?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

ebay cuz.... $64 a set.... they had 1" 1.25" and 1.5".... just looks up spacers... if you want the seller, gimme give five bucks i'll let ya know know... hehee, lemme look it up real fast for ya...

names garageracing thats his Ebay username.... they're actually for ford mustang joop blah blah.... mine were SAE sizes on the lugs, not metric... and that matters, the shop i had put em on had to press drill my wheels so the stud would go through.... i'm sure you could just swap in metric studs....

Last edited by BlackZenki82; 09-16-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 PM

federal tires are better :P

and drop that car bit more
Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

duble A traction, and w rated? for less than 100 a tire? come on.... and these grip hella hard.... working on loweing it.... just lost my job so no telling when i'll have the $$$
Old 09-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

so here's some pics of my painted intake tube.... i think it came out kinda nice!!! Duplicolor Caliper Paint FTW!!!1

but anyways, here's my AEM intake tube... lemme know what ya think!!!!

Before....

after.....

next step will be the valve cover in the same color.... but it'll have some crazy *** desing, like a black and white rising sun... or i may copy this dude and do the digital camo... here's a pic of that