NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 05:02 PM

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement

Just got back from getting my oil changed in my '93 SE. They first said they thought it had an oil leak and was too bad to change, then one of the guys got down and really looked and said it appeared to be coming from the oil pan gasket. He assumed this because that appeared to be the only place oil was collecting.

I did do a search and it appeared the recommendation was similar to what the guy said...the engine would have to be unmounted and raised...why does that scare the only bejesus out of me...THAT sounds expensive.

I did have to have head gaskets fixed two years ago and now my fear is it's something as bad as that.

I also have white smoke appearing to be coming from the back, not bellowing but enough to drift by my driver's window every once in awhile and I can see it.

Am I headed for trouble??? I wish they had a crying smilie cuz thats what I feel like doing. Single parent, not much funds, need care desperately...and have enjoyed it...

Any comments very much appreciated. My ex said it could be several things and not all serious but as when I had my maxima...the max forums were my godsend in helpful and trustworthly information!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 AM

I have an 89 240sx hb and my oil pan gasket has a leak in it, the guy I bought it from is a mechanic and said you only have to drop the sway bar and then you'll have enough room to take out the oil pan and replace the gasket.

I've been driving on the leaking oil pan gasket though, i'll just add alittle here and there. Every oil change i'll add stop leak to it. My leak isn't that bad though so yours may be different but for the most part I don't feel like replacing it kinda a waste of money since the engine has 200k miles on it.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:14 AM

the FSM, step 4 (For s13) :Lift engine.

(you don' have to pull it, just borrow an engine hoist & lift it a bit... prolly be a good idea to put in some new pretty motor mounts!
it is a ***** job, yea. but aside from the whole 'lift' thing it shouldn't be too hard, i'm soon to do that to mine as well.
P.S. I was around my local car club when i was looking up this procedure... it's the new joke when doing a particularly difficult & meaningless thing for something that should be easy "Step 4ing it"
Old 08-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

you dont need a lift you can put the car on jack stands and then put a jack under the transmission bell housing and jack up the motor. of course you have to remove the mounting nuts from the motor mounts first then remove the sway bar and pull the pan. dont buy a nother gasket just use gasket seal, but clean the pan real good and scrape the old gasket off.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:21 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. Do you think my white smoke coming from the exhaust is due to this oil leak? My son looked under the car and said he could see oil around the drain pan gasket and also around the filter (which was new btw and tight he said). I'm trying to figure out if I should "freak" and worry about blowing an engine and/or being left on the side of the road, or if it's just bothersome smoke and I just need to watch my oil. I guess I'm really sweating another head gasket...which last time, cost be a pretty $1400. :-(((

Just found out yesterday my almost 20 year old son deploys with the National Guard on August 30th...I have enough now to worry about without worrying about my car. :-(((