NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

oxygen sensor and horrible idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 12:10 AM

oxygen sensor and horrible idle

i completed the sohc to dohc conversion and i was installing the o2 sensor and it was a PITA to get off the old manifold, so it has like 3 small dents in it and i was cleaning it and i dunno what it was but i rubbed my fingers on the inside tip of the sensor and a black piece came off and white piece was exposed, did i mess up the sensor and if so can u remove the sensor from the bolt and how lol, my next question is the idle is crap and i kno my timing is off at least 1 tooth and of course the o2 sensor, but what else can mess up the idle, o yeah it has 4 yr old gas mixed with 91 octane

ps i removed egr should i plug it or will it only be a minor problem

Last edited by cheap240; 04-29-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:49 PM

i dont know about 02 sensor nothing... maybe i should replace mine, my idle is pretty rough (usually at least 1000)...

but anyways, about the egr...
thats the emissions crap thats on the drivers side of the engine bay, mounted on the wheel well, next to the headers/intakefilter right???
if so, i took all that out and bought rubber caps from advance auto to plug the little pipe that connects down to the headers. i think the caps were called 'exhaust pipe caps' and they came in a pack of 2 for like a buck, they fit just about perfect and i used one of the stock clamps to clamp it down tight.
ps. with the pipe unplugged it sounded HORRIBLE. and i used the second cap to cover the inlet on the intake (injen i/s) even tho it might not be necessary.

hope that helps.
good luck getting everything running right, im in that process now. $$$

--chris