NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Problem with the car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Problem with the car!

My car has started shutting down. If I get in it and drive here and park or drive there and back and park I'm fine. But if I drive the car for what seems like an extended period ot time, 30 minutes or more or until it hits a certain temp, it shuts off. I flashed the ECU a couple of hours ago and it did not throw any codes. I've got a new starter, alternator and plugs etc. so my ignition system seems to be working just fine. Any ideas on what else I should start looking at? Before the car shuts down I can hear what sounds like a rattle coming from the engine.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

are u seeing any smoke or smelling any thing?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

No smoke no smells, it's not overheating or leaking rad fluid.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:43 AM
KFL

Sounds like maybe a dying fuel pump..working harder at extended periods. You can test it check fsm..quick way. remove fuse/ff hose/fuse/crank stream pump is good, trickles-bad. But a slightly working pump give the symptoms you stated works for a while then kicks out. At least you can rule out the fuel pump by running tests on it. I think if u have a multimeter u can just pop fuel pump cover off and test a few wires/contacts.

Compression test would be a safe bet to rule out engine internals.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

I think it may be a fuel problem. Last night when I went to work and stopped the car, I started it back up and the same thing happened, it cranked but wouldn't start until I stomped on the gas and then it maintained an erratic idle. Normally it idles at 1000rpm, always, but it would jump from 1100-1300 and back. I also don't hear the pump noise from the back when I put the key in and turn it to ignition. Could I have a bad pump like you say? I went to the parts store today and got a new filter and some injector cleaner, I may need to get a pump too but I'll definitely test it and see if that's the problem...thanks! I also checked the pump fuse and it's fine but still no priming noise.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 PM
KFL

Originally Posted by positron
I think it may be a fuel problem. Last night when I went to work and stopped the car, I started it back up and the same thing happened, it cranked but wouldn't start until I stomped on the gas and then it maintained an erratic idle. Normally it idles at 1000rpm, always, but it would jump from 1100-1300 and back. I also don't hear the pump noise from the back when I put the key in and turn it to ignition. Could I have a bad pump like you say? I went to the parts store today and got a new filter and some injector cleaner, I may need to get a pump too but I'll definitely test it and see if that's the problem...thanks! I also checked the pump fuse and it's fine but still no priming noise.

Yeah it could be..like I said I know 1 guy had a s13. Car ran then died while moving on the road. Towed home..pulled off fuel filter hose..cranked trickle trickle..no stream of gas. Replaced pump then was fine after that.Same deal with 2 other s13s. Liked you said key in ingnition you can hear the pump hum. Your idle is a tad high though at 1k..should be at most 700-800..probably iac dirty..should try adjusting that later after fixing main driving issue. If it is shot best to do fuel pump replacement with a low amount of gas in tank. Also you need to buy fuel pump, sock(filter), seal. Check the fsm though if u have a multimeter..I was glancing at it looking for fuel injector tests.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I finally figured out why my car has been dying on me during driving. I put a new fuel pump in today thinking that would fix my problem. I finished installing the pump. I could hear it prime when I turned the ignition, my old pump was not priming. I started the car and ran it for 10 minutes then turned it off and started it again and nothing. I was pissed. Not because I bought a new fuel pump, I really needed a new one anyway. I was mad because I thought I had solved my problem but to no avail. I got under the hood and started checking everything. I went to the ignition coil and checked it...nothing. Then I pulled the distributor cap and started pulling spark plug wires. I got to the middle spark plug wire and found this to my amazement
Name:  IMG_0933.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  54.2 KB
The wire was pushed back, turned on it's side and it had some blue residue built up around it and so did the distibutor cap where it was plugged.
Name:  IMG_0936.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  65.7 KB
It was obvious that this wire hadn't been plugged into the distro for quite some time. I immediately realized that this was my problem! I cleaned it up, straightened the wire and plugged it in. My car fired up time after time. My problem has been fixed. What a dumb@$$! yes!