25.00%
Other
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

RS R or Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

I'm going with HKS. I live in a small town. Tons of ____in kids have fart cans and the cops dont do ____t Ill take a risk.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
If the cops in my area weren't such ________'s (insert any bad word there) I would have been rockin' the HKS the day after I bought my car (true long-time HKS fan right here)

I also considered the RS-R ExMag due to the stealth look, but when I saw one in person DAMN - the tip is still huge and noticeably not stock
dam i was planning to get this some time in the future cuz i already got pulled over but only got a warning, i was really hoping for the stealth look too, hmm i guess imma be rockin my hks til i really start to get into trouble for it
Old 02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sr20det power
dam i was planning to get this some time in the future cuz i already got pulled over but only got a warning, i was really hoping for the stealth look too, hmm i guess imma be rockin my hks til i really start to get into trouble for it
you're not in CA are you?
Old 02-20-2005, 01:35 AM

you're not in CA are you?
yea i am, i was in alhambra when i got pulled over, so i dont plan to visit that city much anymore, at least not with my car haha
Old 02-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

vibrant makes a new serise of exhausts

there flat black for stealth and come in 2.25 and 3 inch you would have to have it custom though

idk i dont lve in cali like you lucky *****
so i dont know about there crazy laws.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

How dothe vibrant mufflers sound though? I dont trust them. Looks like another autozone muffler.
Just my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

any links? I've never heard of them. Sounds more like a brand of dishwashing soap
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

any links? I've never heard of them. Sounds more like a brand of dishwashing soap
Vibrant Performance
Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Got this off their website...

•I just purchased a Vibrant Performance® Exhaust System for my car. How loud can I expect this exhaust to be?
Over the last 12 months, Vibrant has conducted extensive testing to gauge the exact decibel output created by our exhaust systems on a variety of vehicles. Our exhaust systems will produce an exhaust tone measuring between 75 dB and 87 dB at a distance of 1 meter (results vary by vehicle). Please click here to view the complete breakdown of decibel readings by vehicle.

Exhaust tone characteristics will vary depending on your vehicle and the type of Vibrant Performance® Muffler you have chosen. However, in general, our Performance Mufflers produce a low, deep exhaust note on acceleration that levels off at cruising speeds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•Are Vibrant Performance® Mufflers street-legal?
Vibrant Performance® mufflers are manufactured to meet or exceed SAE standards and, if installed properly, should not contravene the laws of any North American jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions have very specific and stringent laws regarding the type of replacement parts that can be installed on your vehicle. Please check with your local law enforcement if you have any concerns before installing any aftermarket parts.

Vibrant has made every effort to ensure that our Performance Exhaust products meet or exceed the new California 95 dB law that went into effect in 2001. To our knowledge, no other jurisdiction in North America has taken the initiative to create a specific target for performance exhaust manufacturers to strive for. However, we will continue to monitor this situation and ensure that we are able to meet or exceed any arbitrary target that is put in place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•I have installed a Vibrant Performance® Exhaust system on my vehicle and now I must take my car in for an emissions test. Will I have problems passing the test with the Vibrant Exhaust System on my car?
If you have installed your Vibrant Performance® Exhaust system properly, you should not have any problem passing your emissions test. Prior to going in for your test, check your exhaust system for any exhaust leaks that might result in a failed test. Also, be sure to follow the scheduled maintenance program set out in your owner's manual and be sure that your catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are functioning properly. Catalytic converters and oxygen sensors are the two most important components in ensuring that your vehicle runs clean and passes emissions tests.

Think its true?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Fast1One
Some jurisdictions have very specific and stringent laws regarding the type of replacement parts that can be installed on your vehicle. Please check with your local law enforcement if you have any concerns before installing any aftermarket parts.
LOL.

Sorry, but the rest of that stuff is stretched out legal lingo to make it sound pleasing.

Look at the excerpt I took from the info - the part about "local law". Federal might not care, but if your particular city has it's own local city ordinance that says "no modifications to exhaust" then guess what? Doesn't matter if the Vibrant exhaust passed Federal standards. The last word on citations within the city you're driving in belongs to the city.

Prior to going in for your test, check your exhaust system for any exhaust leaks that might result in a failed test. Also, be sure to follow the scheduled maintenance program set out in your owner's manual and be sure that your catalytic converter and oxygen sensors are functioning properly. Catalytic converters and oxygen sensors are the two most important components in ensuring that your vehicle runs clean and passes emissions tests.
Basic stuff for any smog check, regardless of stock or aftermarket exhaust. However - note they're talking strictly about passing the "engine" side of the smog test.

What about visual inspection? You can fail visual just by having a shiny muffler on that doesn't look OEM, depending o where you live.

NOTE: I'm not trying to knock on Vibrant or making them look bad. I'm just pointing out that there's more to it than just what they put on the website. And it's a pain in the *** to have to go through their catalog one .pdf at a time LOL (unrelated to the subject of this thread)

EDIT: Oh gawd, not another "lets make stuff mainly for Honda" company.

Last edited by l2aine; 02-20-2005 at 10:40 PM.