NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

s13 timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 AM

Unhappy s13 timing chain

Just purchased a 1993 240 coupe. Love the car, great to drive. I noticed noise coming from the front of the valve cover. Removed the valve cover and found timing chain has a lot of slack in it. I called around to different shops to find out how much it costs to get it replaced. I stopped when the phone estimates STARTED at $850.00. I have a fair amount of mechanical skill, just wanted to know if anyone has done this job themselves, what all is involved, and what kind of problems to expect. Thanks for any help you may have.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:59 PM

north carolina yeye! but anyways, me and my father performed a timing chain change in a ka24e (mine) and just really make sure you keep the timing in place as best as you can. it's alot cheaper than taking it somewhere (obviously) but check autozone or advanced they should have a timing chain kit i paid around $100 for mine but i dont know if the de will be different. I'm sure theres a write up somewhere sorry i dont got alot of advice for doing this but i just dont want to give you no wrong instructions cause i dont know if the de is any different in that department, but it took us a good day or two of work. by the way, what part of Nc are you in? im in fayetteville.
Old 07-19-2004, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the reply!
Doing a little more research into the problem I think it is just the upper chain that has deleveloped the slackness. I did notice that the valve cover appears to have been removed atleast once if not more. Using the Haynes manual as a guide I noticed the upper timing chain guide is not installed on the engine, if my production year is supposed to have one. The manual says you have to lift the engine, jack the tranny, remove the head and basically disassemble the entire front of the engine to change both upper and lower chains. You you recall going through all of this work? I'm wondering if I can omit alot of the headaches by just changing the upper chain? Do you know if this is commonly done? Any more insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:20 PM

i do remember of not having to remove the engine for sure, in mine, the timing chain wore a whole into the timing chain cover near a water jet causing water to mix with the oil, and we thought the head needed some touching up so we had the head off, and the timing chain cover out but i dont believe you have to take the head off just the front timing chain cover. to get to all that though you have to remove the valve cover, oil pump, distributor, power steering and anything else that was attached to the timing chain cover or in the way. then unblot it from the front of the oil pan but you dont got to remove the whole oil pan jus the bolts going into the timing chain cover and any other bolts holding it on. It may take a little wiggling but it should come off then you have access to the entire timing chain. if memory serves me corectly that is. It was a little while since we did that and since then i done many other things to other vehicles so my memorys a little sketchy, if anyone else has some input or if i need corrected feel free to do so. I wish I would have done a write up when i did it though but as far as removing the engine we didn't have to go through all that. Sorry if it's confusing I'm trying my best and im pretty sure for the most part that was the process as far as getting access to the timing chain.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:31 PM

well i decided to dig up my good ol shop manual so if your not tired of reading yet here is the instructions from the Nissan Service manual. It says:

Timing chain removal:
1. Disconnect battery terminal
2. Drain coolant from radiator.
3. Remove radiator shroud and cooling fan
4. Remove the following belts
* Power steering drive belt
* Compressor drive belt
*Alternator drive belt

5. Remove all spark plugs
6. Set No. 1 piston at T.D.C. on its compression stroke.

7. Remove the following parts.
*Power steering pump, idler pulley, and power steering pump brackets.
*Compressor idler pulley
*Crankshaft pulley
*Oil pump with pump drive spindle
*Rocker cover
8. Remove oil pan.
9. Remove front cover.

10. Remove the following parts.
*Chain tensioner
*Chain guides
*Timing chain and sprocket
*Oil thrower, oil pump drive gear and crankshaft sprocket

thats almost word for word out of the nissan 240sx service manual for a 1990 240sx with a ka24e so i dont know what would be different with a de. They also have the installation instructions but I'll wait till you atleast get this far to continue.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:55 PM

if you need parts, and you can wait a few days i get all oe nissan parts wholesale.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:53 AM

I have talked with a couple of mechanics and parts stores about the timing chain replacement hassle. First recommendation was to pull just the top cover and check the tensioner and guides. This would be an a quick way to find out the problem were in the upper chain area. Replace those parts as needed and if the problem was still there then I'll need to do the full disassembly for the lower chain as well. I'll start pulling the engine apart this afternoon so I should have some kind a idea what I'm up against. Yes boys and girls, keep your fingers crossed that this is going to be a simple fix!
Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM

i will, it shouldnt be to much, but good luck though and let me know if you need any other assistance and i will do my best to help out.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:22 PM

Well, I'm opting for the full monty. Both timing chains coming off this weekend. If i'm gonna pull it apart might as well get everything done at one time. I've read some other forums about the work so I kind of know what I'm in for. Not exactly easy, but hopefully should be able to get through the whole process without it being a major nightmare! I just need to borrow a few special tools.

Don't get caught wearing a banana hammock!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

If you are going to replace the upper timing chain you mite as well change the lower chain. If you know what your doing its a very simple job, but if you have never done it before I would'nt advise it. ther are to many parts to keep up with.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:33 PM

HELP - HELP - HELP

Have the top cover removed, all's well. Removed everything attached to the lower cover but can't get it to come off. It only moves about 1/8" away from the block and seems to just stop. It kinda rocks from side to side. I have the front bottom oil pans bolts removed and the sides bolts loosened. If someone has been through this before and can shed some it on getting this SOB off please let me know, soon!

Thanks !
Old 07-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

if you meen the oil pan, there are two bolts that hold the oil strainer (that is inside the oil pan) to the front cover, you have to remove the two bolts and then you have to loosen the side motor mounts and put a jack under the transmission and raise the motor , then remove the front swaybar and pull the pan from the front of the car. hope this helps
Old 07-30-2004, 06:15 PM

A small update on the timing chain swap. With some help from fellow members all of the hardware and front covers are off. Have replaced both chains, lower was very easy and upper I'll check again before tightening things down. I almost forgot, friendly neighborhood parts store shipped the wrong tensioners. I had to open one of their haynes manuals from the front counter to prove to them the wrong pieces were ordered. I'm sure they're good people if you needed something for your pickup truck or ATV. Imports seem to cause some problems. Anyway, the right tensioners should be here tomorrow so I can get started on the assembly work.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:20 AM

well congrats on ur first timing chain replacement. hopefully the rest goes smooth for you and let us know when you get it fired up again.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:40 PM

Thumbs up

Everthing back in place, the car cranked, idled and ran on the first turn of the key. Just a very minor timing adjustment needed with the gun and I'll be good to go! Thanks to all for the help, posts, replies and general information which made this job a lot easier.