NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

TB Coolant bypass problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Unhappy TB Coolant bypass problems

first off i'd like to start by saying i love the way my car feels now with the bypass done, the power ban is much more fluid and smooth; however it ran fine until about 10 minutes ago. its hard to start without a couple pumps of the gas pedal to get it past turn over and it idles at anywhere from 600 to 1500 (after heating up) and sputters out of idle just a tad. i've done it before so the bypass is done correctly however im running the stock air box still, i have a little "power adder" autozone cone filter that im going to replace the airbox with today to get me by until my intake gets here but just wanted some feedback on what it could possibly be? my radiator has a small crack that has been through an extensive JB welding process and an overflow tank that is just about completely gone and i noticed on my way to work today that my overflow tank was steaming out of control ( which hadn't happened until the bypass) and the coolant popped through the lower portion of the jb weld on my radiator. i checked the coolant line for kinks and got nothing. the bypass is done correctly, nothing got in my throttle body while doing the bypass, small hole in radiator but my car isn't and hasnt even been close to overheating, etc... any ideas? thanks for the read

Edit: I forgot to mention that i live in texas but it just got colder out yesterday (maybe in the upper 50s)... could that in anyway contribute to my problems??????
Old 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

when you start your car in cold weather after is sat for some time you will notice an irratic idle. the collant bypass is not recomender for winter weather.
as for your coolant problems, you might have a bad thermostat.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:48 AM

actually i got it all figured out, it takes a while to warm up but once it gets warm it's good to go.as far as it running like **** i've concluded that i got moisture in the breather filter on my valve cover due to the hideous vents on my hood. . taped the vents off, changed the oil and plugs and it runs beautifully now. the thermostat is fine, i have a small hole in my radiator that was draining my coolant, JB welded it again and no more leakage. its running really really good, thanks though. i appreciate the feedback.