NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

tensioner/ timing chain problem, contact?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 07:10 PM

Exclamation tensioner/ timing chain problem, contact?

All right, I did the whole timing chain guide removal deal and I found sort of a problem. I inspected most of the inside and removed the tensioner and found it had contact from the other chain! The chain looks fine, so does the timing chain, but there looks like it got scraped like a mo fo. I was wondering if I should grind it down a bit so the back chain won't make contact, or should i get a new one? The tensioner springs back and forth, which means its doing its job, but I think if I flush out the back side it shouldn't mess anything up except not making contact, which is good. Has anyone had this problem before? could use a little advice, thanx.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

when it comes to the tensioners do yourself a favor and replace them... it will save you a lot of trouble in the end... if there is a problem with the tensioner i suggest that it be replaced... the upper tensioner costs 56 bucks at the local parts store here... cheap insurance when you look at the cost of bent valves... believe me i know what happens when one of the tensioners fail and the pistons hit the valves...
Old 06-04-2005, 07:55 PM

The thing is, it's doing the job of "tensioning" but, the back of it was getting scraped, do you think if i get a new one it would solve the problem? What if it does the same thing? thanx
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM

bump! Someone, anyone, any ideas? Help?!?!?!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:44 PM

ok, i just grinded the back side of the tensioner, looks good, the pad on the tensioner is plastic just to let everyone know. Do you still put rtv on around the gasket? The tube says not to use it with gasket, could you still use it? and how clean does it have to be to reseal it? I took off all the old rtc silicone and oil off the edges. Oh yeah, do you use the rtc silicone on the tensioner when I put it back on?