NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Timing chain idler sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Question Timing chain idler sprocket

I'm in the midst of putting my beloved S13 back together after a timing set replacement, and I find that the new idler sprocket is missing the tapered fitting which the distrubutor drive presses into. Can the old idler be dismantled, or shall I check with the dealer on Monday for a new & proper idler? I have the timing all set according to the FSM, but the bolt on the idler is tight and the drive is still loose.

I searched for any mention of this thru many of the topics, and didn't find it. If I missed discussion, just let me know where to find it.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:47 PM

Ahem, never mind. I found the correct idler at DRIVEWIRE.COM, and also ascertained that the idler included in the timing set that I got from AdvanceAuto was for the '92-'97 Altima.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:02 PM

i'm about to get a timing set from advance...which one did you get and is it working well
Old 10-29-2005, 02:04 AM

Oh god I think I’m going to hurl. OK now listen, going to Advance Auto is like going to a 24-hour dentist to have brain surgery. If you are going to buy a part no matter how small, and expect it to last then get it from Nissan or a respectable aftermarket company. Most of everything that part stores (like advance auto or autozone) sell is remanufactured by companies that have almost no specialization in the specific parts they are rebuilding. My advice is this if your are going to replace an important part on your car (especially a Nissan) then get it NEW from a dealer, and if you cant afford one then get it remanufactured, but remanufactured by the company that made the OEM part (AC delco, Nissan, Mopar, GMB, Ford). Ok I know I’m raving but people always complain about cheep parts but it seems most do nothing about it. I know that you cant help that you got the wrong part, however you are MUCH less likely to get that kind of service from an OEM manufacturer.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:58 PM

No need to blow chunks

I'd suggest going thru DRIVEWIRE.COM for your kit, most of these are made by TOPLINE, a reputable OEM replacement MFR. Read the fine print, you'll need to get the idler sprocket and something else separately. Otherwise, you'll be returning the idler that comes with the set from Advance Auto. The idler in theirs is for the Altima.

Again, you can do the timing set without pneumatics, and without pulling the head. Judiciuos use of leverage will suffice for the primary, prodigious care with the head gasket on the latter. You do need to drop the oil pan, and have torque wrench(s) available during reassembly.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:31 AM

Re: No need to blow chunks

Originally posted by ironb12s
I'd suggest going thru DRIVEWIRE.COM for your kit
Nice site too bad they are currently upgrading their servers. Very informative and looks like good quality parts too. Every time I try to place an item in my cart, it gives me an internal server error.

I have yet to find another parts site that will tell you (online at least) what orther parts you will need and may need.