NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

trouble with cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:42 PM

trouble with cooling system

ok, semi-long story.
I was driving on the highway and noticed my car started to over heat, so i stopped off. i decided to turn back to home, and made it there after letting the car cool off for a bit. After some checking, i noticed the water pump was leaking pretty badly, so i replaced it. no more leak. I still overheated after i bled the system. Today i replaced my thermostat, i finally heard the radiator fan kick on after a long time of not (relief). When i was attempting to bleed it today, there was ALOT of bubbles and i tried both the radiator cap method and the bleeder valve. i figured even if i got most of the air out id be ok. Well i dont think its over heating any more, but there is still air in the system i think. The coolant tank was bubbling when i pulled into my driveway, it didn't feel very hot, just had alot of bubbles from the radiator.

i know what youre thinking...headgasket.

the thing is though, the car doesnt display any signs of a blown head gasket other than not being able to bleed properly. when i drained the coolant today i didnt see any oil in the coolant, theres no smoke coming from the exhaust, the temperature gauge isnt SHOWING that im overheating (keep in mind i replaced the thermostat today). so what do u guys think?

isnt there a way to check for coolant in the oil by putting the dip stick on something hot to see if it boils or something like that?

thanks